This week PM Modi called for the creation of a Chief of Defence staff in his Independence Day Speech; Internet and Communications Shutdown continue in Jammu and Kashmir after a brief reprieve amid fears of violence; Rajasthan faces Internet shutdowns in parts of Jaipur following communal clash; China’s new digital currency is almost up for launch; Maharashtra adopts wider use of blockchain technology – presenting this week’s most important developments in law and tech.
- [Aug 13] Jaipur: 24 people injured in communal clash, mobile internet suspended in some areas, Scroll report; Hindustan Times report.
- [Aug 13] Internet services partially restored in Jammu & Kashmir: Report, Medianama report.
- [Aug 17] Landline services partially restored in Valley, mobile internet back in 5 Jammu districts, Hindustan Times report.
- [Aug 18] Mobile Internet services again snapped in Jammu region, The Times of India report.
Internal Security: Current Status of J&K
- [Aug 18] Ex-defence officers and bureaucrats move SC against Centre’s decision on Article 370, The Economic Times report; The Quint report.
- [Aug 18] The fear of losing land to outsiders grips Valley, The Tribune report.
- [Aug 18] 4G internet services to be made operational only after assessing situation: Jammu Divisional Commissioner, ANI News report.
- [Aug 18] Restrictions Reimposed in Srinagar After Protests, Clashes With Police, The Wire report; the Statesman report.
- [Aug 18] About 4,000 people arrested in Kashmir since August 5: govt sources to AFP, The Hindu report.
- [Aug 19] Schools Reopen In Kashmir But Few Children Show Up: 10 Points, NDTV report.
- [Aug 19] Congress Leaders Deviate From Party Line on Article 370, Hail Centre’s Move in Kashmir, The Wire report.
Tech and National Security
- [Aug 15] Independence Day 2019: Here are the highlights from PM Modi’s speech, Business Line report.
- [Aug 15] Major push for military, infra in PM Modi’s I-Day speech: Key takeaways, Business Standard report.
- [Aug 16] Explained: What is Chief of Defence Staff that PM Modi announced in I-Day speech, India Today report.
- [Aug 17] Appointment of CDS will boost India’s national security and power projection capabilities, Economic Times report.
- [Aug 16] Amend existing laws so we can obtain and use people’s Aadhaar numbers for voter verification, says ECI to Law ministry, Medinama report.
- [Aug 18] EC seeks legal backing to collect voters’ Aadhaar data to check duplication, Business Standard report.
- [Aug 19] ‘Voluntary Aadhaar eKYC for bank accounts, mobile, MFs soon’, Times of India report.
- [Aug 19] SC to consider Facebook’s Aadhaar plea on August 20, Deccan Herald report.
- [Aug 16] India’s battle to catch China in payment apps; country to become more digital, Livemint report.
- [Aug 17] Top executives of Apple, Samsung, Xiaomi to meet government on August 19, Financial Express report.
- [Aug 19] Lithuania can be important technology partner for India: Venkaiah Naidu, MoneyControl report.
- [Aug 19] India to help Bhutan in digital payments, space technology, Hindustan Times report.
- [Aug 13] NIST seeks industry feedback as Internet of Things cybersecurity standards take shape, Federal News Network report.
- [Aug 14] Cybersecurity Startup Securiti.ai emerges from Stealth with $31 million Investment, ciscomag.com report.
- [Aug 15] Kaspersky announces new Transparency Centre in Malaysia, Livemint report; Digital News Asia report.
- [Aug 19] Cybersecurity leader Vectra establishes operations in Asia-Pacific to address growing demand for network detection and response in the cloud, Yahoo Finance report.
- [Aug 14] Huawei starts research on 6G internet, Cnet report.
- [Aug 14] Google’s soccer-playing A.I. hopes to master the world’s most popular sport, Digital Trends report.
- [Aug 19] Three UK rolls out 5G home internet access in London, Engadget report.
- [Aug 19] Cyber Security: Are IoT deployments in India safe from hackers?, Financial Express report.
- [Aug 12] Reliance AGM: Mukesh Ambani backs blockchain technology; says data is wealth, Business Today report.
- [Aug 19] Maharashtra to use blockchain technology in agriculture marketing, vehicle registration, DNA report; Cointelegraph report.
- [Aug 13] China says state Cryptocurrency set to rival Bitcoin is ‘Close’ to Launch, The Independent report.
- [Aug 14] China’s Digital Currency Is Unlikely to Be a Cryptocurrency, Forbes report.
- [Aug 14] IAMAI says RBI has no authority to ban cryptocurrencies, The Economic Times report.
- [Aug 16] Chinese National Cryptocurrency Turns Out Not Being an Actual Crypto, Cointelegraph report.
- [Aug 17] Cryptocurrency This Week: Supreme Court To Conclude Hearing Next Week, Bitcoin India Investigations And More, Inc42 report.
- [Aug 17] Mastercard is assembling its own cryptocurrency team, New York Post report.
- [Aug 18] Facebook’s Calibra cryptocurrency wallet already has competition, Cnet report.
- [Aug 19] Silvergate Bank Plans to Offer Cryptocurrency-Collateralized Loans, Cointelegraph report.
- [Aug 19] Binance planning to launch ‘Venus,’ similar to Facebook’s upcoming cryptocurrency Libra, Theblockcrypto.com report.
- [Aug 17] US set to give Huawei another 90 days to buy from American firms, Khaleej Times report.
- [Aug 18] Trump To Suddenly Throw Lifeline To Huawei, Report Says, Saving Huawei Mate 30 Pro, Forbes report.
- [Aug 18] Huawei to Trump: “You don’t want us to fight Google.”, EsquireME report.
- [Aug 19] Trump: ‘I don’t want to do business with Huawei’, AlJazeera report.
- [Aug 13] AI fights banana disease, Fruitnet.com report.
- [Aug 13] TCS’ AI platform Ignio tops $60m revenue mark, The Economic Times report.
- [Aug 14] Zensar Technologies places its bets on artificial intelligence, The Economic Times report.
- [Aug 14] Ola ‘acquihires’ artificial intelligence start-up Pikup.ai, Financial Express report.
- [Aug 14] Wipro launches edge artificial intelligence solutions powered by Intel, Dataquest report; Moneycontrol report.
- [Aug 15] IT big 3 to offer artificial intelligence as a platform, The Economic Times report.
- [Aug 15] Google Assistant tops 2019 digital assistance IQ test, but every AI posts gains, Venturebeat report.
- [Aug 16] Google brings AI to studying with Socratic, ZDNet report.
- [Aug 16] [Funding alert] AI startup Orbo.ai raises $1.6M from YourNest Ventures, Venture Catalysts, YourStory report.
- [Aug 16] [Funding alert] Retail AI startup SprintAI raises $500,000 from InMobi co-founder, others, YourStory report.
- [Aug 18] Small towns in India are powering the global race for artificial intelligence, The Economic Times report.
- [Aug 18] New consortium aims to make Bengaluru hub for industrial AI, Livemint report.
- [Aug 16] Data Leviathan: China’s Burgeoning Surveillance State, Human Rights Watch report.
- [Aug 16] Uganda spends US$126 million on surveillance system with facial recognition from Huawei, South China Morning Post report.
- [Aug 16] Trump administration reportedly wants to extend NSA phone surveillance program, Cnet report.
- [Aug 17] White House is pushing to reauthorize law that allows surveillance on Americans’ phone records, salon.com report.
Data Privacy and Protection
- [Aug 15] How Data Privacy Laws Can Fight Fake News, JustSecurity.org report.
- [Aug 16] What The Great Hack tells us about data privacy, Livemint report.
- [Aug 17] Facebook’s Bizarre Response To Privacy Scandals? New Pop-Up Cafés, Forbes report.
- [Aug 18] Why Blockchain Technology is Important for Data Privacy, Bitcoinist.com report.
- [Aug 15] Alibaba results beat estimates on cloud, e-commerce growth, Economic Times report.
- [Aug 16] E-commerce sector looks to self-regulate, Flipkart, Amazon not on board, CNBCTV 18 report.
- [Aug 18] Fintech firm Suvidhaa plans e-commerce foray, Economic Times report.
- [Aug 19] Why social e-commerce is set to become the next big thing in China, TechWire Asia report.
- [Aug 19] China e-commerce sites block sales of protest gear to Hong Kong, The Japan Times report.
Opinions and Analyses
- [Aug 13] Editorial, The Guardian, The Guardian view on surveillance: Big Brother is not the only watcher now.
- [Aug 13] Anand Venkatanarayanan, Medianama, Dr Kamakoti’s solution for WhatsApp traceability without breaking encryption is erroneous and not feasible.
- [Aug 14] Gladys Kong, Forbes, Why Stricter Data Privacy Laws Would Benefit The Data Industry.
- [Aug 15] Tuhina Joshi and Vijayant Singh, Yourstory, Independence Day: When will India be free of data privacy issues?
- [Aug 15] Shrija Agrawal, Livemint, ‘Cashless’ and the politics of innovation.
- [Aug 15] Jeffrey Ton, Forbes, The Skeptic’s Guide To Assessing Artificial Intelligence.
- [Aug 15] Matt Ocko and Alan Cohen, TechCrunch, Artificial intelligence can contribute to a safer world.
- [Aug 15] Jaclyn Jaeger, Compliance Week, Data privacy vs. national security: Moving the conversation forward.
- [Aug 15] Jinoy Jose P, Business Line, The Cheatsheet: How Internet shutdowns hurt the economy.
- [Aug 15] Editorial, Hindustan Times, India’s tryst with freedom.
- [Aug 16] Editorial, The Hindu, Words and deeds: On Modi’s I-Day vision.
- [Aug 16] Editorial. The Indian Express, Injustice system.
- [Aug 17] Guillermo M. Luz, The Inquirer, Apec’s new data privacy rules.
- [Aug 17] Pravin Sawhney, The Tribune, Where does CDS fit in?
- [Aug 18] Editorial, Hindustan Times, Fashioning India’s nuclear posture.
- [Aug 18] Enrique Dans, Forbes, Will China’s New Cryptocurrency Make Virtual Cash Respectable?
- [Aug 18] Stephanie Hare, The Guardian, Facial recognition is now rampant. The implications for our freedom are chilling.
- [Aug 19] Thomas Hemphill, NWI Times, GUEST COMMENTARY: Artificial Intelligence and the antitrust challenges.
- [Aug 19] Ravi Shankar Prasad, The Indian Express, Valley’s new dawn: An era of development and inclusion beckons.
- [Aug 19] Ahmed Ali Fayyaz, The Quint, Massacre of J&K Laws and Constitution but No Blood on the Streets.