The National Investigation Agency Act was amended by Parliament this week, expanding its investigation powers to include cyber-terrorism; FaceApp’s user data privacy issues; and the leaked bill to ban cryptocurrencies— presenting this week’s most important developments in law and tech.
- [July 15] Govt plans Aadhaar based identification of patients to maintain health records, Live Mint report; The Indian Express report.
- [July 15] Petition in Delhi HC seeking linking of Aadhaar with property documents, Live Mint report.
- [July 15] Government stops verification process using Aadhaar for driving license, The Economic Times report.
- [July 15] Government stops verification process using Aadhaar for driving license: Nitin Gadkari, ET Auto report.
- [July 18] Will Aadhaar interchangeability for ITR make PAN redundant? Live Mint report.
- [July 18] Govt floats idea for Aadhaar-like database for mapping citizen health, Business Standard report; Money Control report; Inc42 report.
- [July 19] Linking Aadhaar with Voter ID— Election Commission to decide within weeks, The Print report; India Legal analysis.
- [July 21] Mumbai man fights against linking Aadhaar to salary account, The Quint report.
- [July 21] Violating SC rules, matrimonial site sells love, marriage using Aadhaar data, National Herald report.
- [July 22] Large cash deposits may soon need Aadhaar authentication, Times of India report; Money Control report.
Right to Information
- [July 19] Bill to amend RTI law introduced in Lok Sabha amid opposition, India Today report.
- [July 18] Ajaz Khan of Big Boss fame arrested by Mumbai Police for TikTok video, The Asian Age report; DNA India report.
- [July 19] Guwahati HC grants anticipatory bail to poets accused of writing communally charged poetry on Assam citizenship crisis, Live Law report.
- [July 16] MeitY to finalise Intermediary Liability rules amendment by month end, Medianama report; Inc42 report.
Data Protection and Data Privacy
- [July 17] Canada probing data theft at military research center: reports, Business recorder report.
- [July 17] BJP raises issue of privacy breach by tech devices in Rajya Sabha, BJD demads more funds, News 18 report.
- [July 17] TMC MPs protest outside Parliament in Delhi, demand to bring Data Protection Law, DNA India report.
- [July 17] Democrats issue warnings against viral Russia-based face-morphing app ‘FaceApp’, NPR report.
- [July 18] Government notice to Tiktok, Helo; asks to answer 21 questions or face ban, Gadgets Now report; Medianama report; Business insider report.
- [July 18] Singapore data protection enforcement guide released, Asia Business law Journal report.
- [July 18] Irish Data Protection Commission issues advice over FaceApp privacy concerns, RTE report.
- [July 18] Govt admits to data leak of unemployment figures ahead of May announcement in Rajya Sabha, terms the issue ‘serious’, Firstpost report.
- [July 19] From bad to worse: PM Modi’s office has asked IT Ministry to keep a close eye on TikTok, India Times report.
- [July 20] Equifax near $700 million settlement of data breach probes: WSJ, AL Jazeera report.
- [July 21] Jio backs data protection; highlights future growth areas like agriculture, healthcare and education, The Economic Times report.
- [July 19] Firms exploring Telangana to set up data centres, The Hindu report.
- [July 22] Bytedance starts building local data centre in India after lawmakers complain of data privacy, Entrackr report.
- [July 22] China’s ByteDance to store Indian data locally after MPs raise concerns on privacy, national security, ET Tech report; Outlook report.
- [July 22] Jio backs data localization to stave off cyberattacks, ET Tech report; Medianama report.
- [July 15] India lags peers in tech skills: Coursera study, ET Telecom report.
- [July 16] WiFi on the go: Government pushes to keep Bharat connected, ET Telecom report.
- [July 17] BMTC wants to reboot its IT plan, ET tech report.
- [July 19] How improved infrastructure and tech firms are changing game development in India, ET Tech report.
Digital Payments and E-Commerce
- [July 14] How women are sidelined in India’s e-commerce growth, ET Tech report.
- [July 17] Digital payment firms write to Government, asking compensation for losses incurred due to ‘zero’ merchant fee, Latestly report.
- [July 22] How an in-house e-commerce platform Leaf Era has revolutionsed government procurement, ET Tech report.
- [July 22] Aditya Birla Payments Bank to shut down due to “unanticipated developments in business landscape”, Medianama report.
- [July 15] Hacked crypto exchange Bitpoint discovers more millions are missing, Coin Desk report.
- [July 15] India: Leaked draft bill would ban all crypto except ‘Digital Rupee’, Coin Telegraph report.
- news to those Swiss authorities, Business Insider report.
- [July 16] US says cryptocurrency is a national security issue, The New Indian Express report.
- [July 16] Bitcoin and crypto suddenly branded a national security issue, Forbes report.
- [July 16] Crypto a security threat, instrument for illicit activities: Trump admin, Business Standard report.
- [July 17] Facebook said its Libra cryptocurrency will be regulated by Swiss authorities – but that was
- [July 17] Making sense of chaos? Algos scour social media for clues to crypto moves, ET Markets report.
- [July 20] Cryptokart: Another Indian crypto exchange shuts doen operations, Coin Telegraph report.
- [July 22] Crypto-attacks are rising in Asia—and cybersecurity AI may be the best way to fight the threat: Darktrace, Business Insider report.
- [July 13] Facial recognition tech is growing stronger, thanks to your face, New York Times report.
- [July 19] Is there a tug of war between Niti Aayog, IT Ministry on artificial intelligence project? India Today report.
- [July 15] Tech giants to face US hearings on anti-trust, cryptocurrency, ET Telecom report.
- [July 15] Amazon Web Services still on pole for $10bn defence cloud deal after Oracle case crashes, DataEconomy.com report.
- [July 16] Google accused of ripping off digital ad technology in US lawsuit, ET Telecom report.
- [July 19] EU opens investigation into anti-competitive conduct of Amazon: Will it face heat in India too? Entrackr report.
- [July 17] Govt working on revival of BSNL: Minister tells Lok Sabha, The Hindu Business Line report.
- [July 19] Make in India: Only half of country’s 268 cellphone makers stay afloat, Financial Express report.
More on Huawei
- [July 16] The US Congress wants to block the Trump administration from weakening Huawei restrictions, The Verge report.
- [July 17] US-China talks stuck in rut over Huawei, The Wall Street Journal report.
- [July 19] Two-thirds of Canadians reject closer ties to China and want Huawei banned from 5G networks, poll says, South China Morning Post report.
- [July 20] White House to host meeting with tech executives on Huawei ban: report, Business Standard report.
- [July 15] Use Indian IPRs to ensure telecom network security: Trade group. ET Telecom report.
- [July 15] Indian IT managers facing budget crunch for cybersecurity, Live Mint report.
- [July 16] Your WhatsApp, Telegram files can be hacked: Symantec, ET Telecom report.
- [July 16] IT companies tightening salary budgets, leveraging variable pay for niche skills, ET Tech report.
- [July 17] Druva acquires hybrid data protection form CloudLanes, The Economic Times report.
- [July 17] Indian Army launches massive crackdown on personnel violating its cybersecurity norms, The Print report.
- [July 19] NSO spyware targets phones to get data from Google, Facebook, iCloud: Report, Medianama report.
- [July 20] New bills on cybersecurity, crime against women soon: Union Minister, India Today report; The Indian Express report.
- [July 21] An entire nation just got hacked, CNN report.
- [July 22] Fix Rogue audits; guard Indian data; bulletproof 5G: India’s new cybersecurity chief’s Vision 2020, ET Prime report.
- [July 22] Fake FaceApp software may infect your device, says global cybersecurity company Kaspersky Lab, New Nation report.
Tech and Elections
- [July 14] New election systems use vulnerable software, AP News report.
Tech and Law Enforcement
- [July 12] Revealed: This is Palantir’s Top-Secret User Manual for Cops, Vice Motherboard report.
- [July 22] WhatsApp traceability case: Details of data requests made by Tamil Nadu Govt to social media companies, Medianama report.
Tech and Military
- [July 14] French jetpack man flyboards up Champs-Elysees for Paris Parade, RFI report.
- [July 15] Dassault offset money to help in skill training: FM Nirmala Sitharaman, Money Control report. Economic Times report.
- [July 16] Modi Govt to buy Pilatus trainer aircraft following corruption charges, to ban Swiss defence firm for one year, OpIndia report.
- [July 16] If India chooses F-21, it will plug into ‘world’s largest fighter plane ecosystem’: Lockheed Martin, The Economic Times report.
- [July 17] AI has a bias problem and that can be a big challenge in cybersecurity, CNBC report
- [July 17] IAF on spares buying spree, The Quint report.
- [July 19] Lockheed Martin identifies 200 potential Indian partners, Hindustan Times report.
- [July 18] Navy to buy Rs. 1,589 crore satellite from ISRO, The Economic Times report.
- [July 18] Indian MoD issues RFP for heavyweight torpedoes for Kalvari-class submarines, Jane’s 360 report.
- [July 18] Rafale will provide IAF strategic deterrence: Defence Ministry, Money Control report.
- [July 19] US F-35, poster child for ineptitude, inefficiency, The Middle East Monitor report.
- [July 19] South African Council to collaborate with Indian defence industry, Outlook India report.
- [July 20] DRDO carries out a dozen successful summer trials of NAG anti-tank missile, ANI report.
- [July 21] IAF Pilots could soon fly Tom Cruise;s fighter jet from Top Gun Maverick, News 18 report.
- [July 21] India to forge ahead with Russia accord despite US threat of sanctions, DNA India report.
National Security Legislation
- [July 15] Lok Sabha passes bill that gives more powers to NIA, Live Mint report, ANI report.
- [July 15] Lok Sabha passes NIA Amendment Bill to give more power to anti-terror agency; here’s all you need to know, Business Insider report.
- [July 17] What is the National Investigation Agency Bill and why is it in contention?, Money Control report.
- [July 17] Rajya Sabha passes National Investigation Agency Amendment Bill 2019, Live Mint report; Outlook India report.
- [July 18] Cabinet asks finance panel to consider securing non-lapsable funds for defence, The Indian Express report; Financial Express report.
- [July 20] New bills on cybersecurity, crime against women soon: Union Minister, India Today report; The Indian Express report.
Opinions and Analyses
- [July 11] Ryan Gallagher, The Intercept, How US Tech giants are helping build China’s Surveillance state.
- [July 15] Jemima Kelly, Financial Express, Trump v Crypto: rage against the obscene.
- [July 15] Ravi Shanker Kappor, News 18 Opinion, Cost of not carrying out economic reforms: Acute shortage of funds for military modernisation.
- [July 16] Jayshree Pandya, Forbes, Nuances of Aadhaar: India’s digital identity, identification system and ID.
- [July 16] Binoy Kampark, International Policy Digest, The UN’s free speech problem.
- [July 16] K Satish Kumar, DNA India, Need more clarity on data bill.
- [July 16] Abhishek Banerjee, Swarajya, Richa Bharti: The Free Speech Hero India Needs.
- [July 17] Ananth Krishnan, The Print, Three reasons why it’s not Huawei or the highway for India’s 5G future.
- [July 17] Rajesh Vellakat, Financial Express, Personal Data Protection Bill: Will it disrupt our data ecosystem?
- [July 17] Nouriel Roubini, Live Mint Opinion, Seychelles-based BitMEX and the great crypto heist.
- [July 17] Tim O’Reilly, Quartz, Antitrust regulators are using the wrong tools to break up Big Tech.
- [July 18] Tiana Zhang, Jodi Wu, Yue Qiu and Richard Sharpe, Mondaq, Newly released draft measures on data security management strengthen China’s data protection framework.
- [July 18] Gwyn D’Mello, India Times, If you worry about FaceApp and not your Facebook and Aadhaar, you have bigger problems.
- [July 18] Sue Halpern, The New Yorker, How Cyber Weaqpons are changing the landscape of modern warfare.
- [July 19] TV Mohandas Pai and Umakant Soni, Financial Express, An AI innovation engine for New India.
- [July 20] Amit Cowshish, The Tribune, Indo-US defence trade not free from encumbrances.
- [July 20] Umberto Sulpasso, Eurasia Review, Domestic Knowledge Product: Enhancing Wealth, Welfare and National Security—Analysis.
- [July 20] Tiffancy C Li, The Atlantic, FaceApp makes today’s privacy laws look antiquated.
- [July 20] Tom Robinson, Venture Beat, Crypto can prevent money laundering better than traditional finance.
- [July 21] Vimal Kumar Kashyap, The Pioneer, 5G to usher in fourth industrial revolution.
- [July 21] Michael Ashley, Forbes, It’s time to fight back for data sovereignty.
- [July 22] Vidushi Marda, The Hindu, Facial recognition is an invasive and inefficient tool.