The ECI sought a legal mandate to link Aadhaar with Voter IDs; Facebook approached the Supreme Court over PILs demanding Aadhaar linkage with social media accounts; MEITY invited ‘select stakeholders’ for private consultations over the data protection bill; and a new panel to review defence procurement practices in India was constituted by the Defense Minister Rajnath Singh, who also hinted at dropping India’s no first use policy – presenting this week’s most important developments in law and tech.
- [Aug 19] EC seeks statutory baking to collect voters’ Aadhaar numbers, The Times of India report.
- [Aug 19] Facebook approaches SC over Aadhaar linkage pleas, The Deccan Herald report; Firstpost report.
- [Aug 20] Aadhaar to ensure farmers, not middlemen, get benefits, The Economic Times report.
- [Aug 21] SC cautions govt on linking Aadhaar with social media, ET Tech report.
- [Aug 21] Election Commission writes to law ministry, seeks legal powers to collect Aadhaar numbers for cleaning up voters’ list, Firstpost report.
- [Aug 22] Aadhaar may be used to verify SECC beneficiaries, The Economic Times report.
- [Aug 23] Centre to put QR code on fishermen’s Aadhaar cards to secure sea route: Amit Shah, The Times of India report.
- [Aug 24] Aadhaar-social media linking: 10 things to know about the ongoing issue, India Today report.
- [Aug 24] Govt to allow Aadhaar-based KYC for domestic retail investors; amendments to PMLA to be issues, Firstpost report.
- [Aug 25] Linking Aadhaar with electoral rolls will create Delhi, Mumbai Analyticas: Justice Srikrishna, The Week report.
- [Aug 19] Indian companies at a disadvantage in tenders, says Commerce ministry, Money Control report; The Times of India report.
- [Aug 21] India’s IT Industry turns to flexi staffing to keep its bench from idling, ET Tech report.
- [Aug 22] Indian IT Firms step up patent filings as they look to monetize their IP, ET Tech report.
- [Aug 26] Time to revisit FTAs to fire up electronics: Ravi Shankar Prasad, ET Rise report.
- [Aug 21] Government hopes for an Ecommerce GeM, ET Tech report.
- [Aug 23] Technology reforming India’s retail businesses, ET Tech report.
- [Aug 22] RBI to allow e-mandates on card payments from September 1, Medianama report.
- [Aug 22] Digital payment execs met Finance Ministry officials to discuss demerits of removing MDR: report, Medianama report.
- [Aug 18] US lawmakers to visit Switzerland to discuss Facebook’s Libra, Cointelegraph report.
- [Aug 19] Israeli Bitcoiners petition banks to disclose crypto policies, Cointelegraph report.
- [Aug 21] Authorities seize crypto mining equipment from nuclear power plant in Ukraine, Coin Desk report.
- [Aug 23] $100K Crypto donation to Amazon rainforest charity blocked by BitPay, Coin Desk report.
- [Aug 18] Google, Facebook, WhatsApp to be made more accountable under new rules, Financial Express report.
- [Aug 19] Google cuts some Android phone data for wireless carriers amid privacy concerns, The Hindustan Times report.
- [Aug 20] MEITY privately seeks responses to fresh questions on the data protection bill from select stakeholders, Medianama report; ET Tech report; Business Standard report; Inc42 report.
- [Aug 21] Google, Intel and Microsoft form data protection consortium, Engadget report; The Economic Times report.
- [Aug 22] Govt working towards tabling data protection bill in winter session, Livemint report; The Economic Times report.
- [Aug 24] India needs to draw a distinction between personal and impersonal data: Ravi Shankar Prasad, Inc42 report.
- [Aug 25] Data Protection Bill need of the hour, says Justice BN Srikrishna, Inc42 report.
- [Aug 19] Social media accounts need to be linked with Aadhaar to check fake news, SC told, Livemint report.
- [Aug 20] Twitter and Facebook crack down on accounts linked to Chinese campaign against Hong Kong, The Guardian report; Defense One report.
- [Aug 20] Facebook’s new tool lets you see which apps and websites tracked you, the New York Times report; ET Tech report.
- [Aug 21] China cries foul over Facebook, Twitter block of fake accounts, ET Tech report.
- [Aug 23] Facebook removes accounts linked to Myanmar military, Medianama report.
Freedom of Speech
- [Aug 20] Islamic preacher Zakir Naik banned from giving public speeches in Malaysia, India Today report.
- [Aug 20] Zakir Naik apologizes to Malaysians for racial remarks, India Today report.
- [Aug 21] Shehla rashid spreading fake news tro incite violence in Jammu and Kashmir: Indian army, DNA India report.
- [Aug 24] IAS Officer Kannan Gopinathan resigns over ‘lack of freedom of expression’, The Hindu report; Scroll.in report.
- [Aug 24] From colonial era to today’s India, a visual history of national security laws used to crush dissent, Sroll.in report.
Internal Security: Status of J&K
- [Aug 19] Kashmir: now for the legal battle, India Today report.
- [Aug 20] Amit Shah meets NSA, IB Chief on J&K, NDTV report.
- [Aug 21] Armed forces to get human rights and vigilance cell after Rajnath Singh approves restructure, News 18 report.
- [Aug 23] Opposition leaders demand release of Mehbooba Mufti, Omar Abdullah, The Economic Times report.
- [Aug 23] Blackout is collective punishment against people of J&K: UN Human Rights experts call on India to end communications shutdown, Medianama report.
- [Aug 25] Amid massive clampdown, uneasy calm in volatile south Kashmir, The Tribune report.
Tech and Law Enforcement
- [Aug 20] Flaws in cellphone evidence prompt review of 10,000 verdicts in Denmark, The New York Times report.
- [Aug 21] Supreme Court directs Madras HC not to pass final order in WhatsApp traceability case, Entrackr report.
- [Aug 21] Facebook, WhatsApp and the encryption dilemma – What India can learn from the rest of the world, CNBC TV 18 report.
- [Aug 21] WhatsApp’s response to Dr. Kamakoti’s recommendation for traceability in WhatsApp, Medianama report.
- [Aug 25] Curbs on Aadhaar data use delayed murder probe: Cops, Deccan Herald report.
- [Aug 26] End-to-end encryption not essential to WhatsApp as a platform: Tamil Nadu Advocate General, Medianma report.
Tech and National Security
- [Aug 18] New Panel to review defence procurement procedure to strengthen ‘Make in India’, Bharat Shakti report; Jane’s 360 report.
- [Aug 18] RSS affiliate sees Chinese telecom firms as security risk for India, The Hindu report.
- [Aug 18] Traders body calls for boycott of Chinese goods, seeks upto 500% import duty, Livemint report.
- [Aug 19] India looks to acquire military equipment on lease amidst budget squeeze, Defence Aviation Post report.
- [Aug 20] India, France likely to finalize roadmap for digital, cyber security cooperation, The Economic Times report; The Indian Express report.
- [Aug 20] ‘Make in India’ Software Defined Radio: ‘Mother’ of all solutions for tactical communications of armed forces, Financial Express report.
- [Aug 20] Need to reduce dependence on foreign manufacturers to modernise Indian Air Force, says defence minister Rajnath Singh, Firstpost report.
- [Aug 20] Strike total at all 41 ordnance factories, say unions on day one, The Hindu Business Line report; Deccan Herald report.
- [Aug 21] Government neglect my force HAL to crash land, Deccan Herald report.
- [Aug 21] Cabinet Secretariat raps MoD, MEA for not involving NSA, The Economic Times report.
- [Aug 21] Ajay Kumar appointed new Defence Secretary, The Economic Times report.
- [Aug 21] Ordnance factories continue strike, MoD calls their products ‘high cost, low quality’, India.com report.
- [Aug 24] It’s about national security: Arun Jaitley on how 2019 elections were different from 2014, India Today report.
- [Aug 24] Gaganyaan: Russian space suits, French medicine for Indian astronauts? The Hindu report.
- [Aug 24] Ordnance strike: Unions to take a call on Centre’s proposal on Aug 24, The Hindu Business Line report.
- [Aug 25] Will India change its ‘No First Use’ policy? The Hindu report.
- [Aug 21] French Eye: india to launch 8-10 satellites with France as part of a ‘constellation’ for maritime surveillance, The Pioneer report.
- [Aug 19] Global Cyber Alliance launches cybersecurity development platform for Internet of Things (IoT) Devices, Dark reading report.
- [Aug 19] The US Army is struggling to staff its cyber units: GAO, Defense One report.
- [Aug 20] A huge ransomware attack messes with Texas, Wired report.
- [Aug 21] Experts call for cybersecurity cooperation at the Beijing Cybersecurity Conference, Xinhua News report.
- [Aug 23] Enterprises are increasingly adopting AI, ML in cybersecurity: Experts, Livemint report.
- [Aug 24] Anomaly detection as advanced cybersecurity strategy, iHLS report.
- Aug 24] Telangana preparing an army of cyber warriors, Telangana Today report.
Internet of Things
- [Aug 22] ITI-Bhubaneswar introduces Internet of Things curriculum, The New Indian Express report.
- [Aug 22] Will We Ever Have A Full Industrial Internet Of Things, Forbes report.
- [Aug 24] IKEA Smart Home Investment Could Be Boost The Internet Of Things Needs, Forbes report.
Artificial Intelligence and Emerging Tech
- [Aug 20] Use artificial intelligence for tax compliance: Direct tax panel, Business Standard report.
- [Aug 20] Artificial intelligence and the world of tax litigation, Financial Express report.
- [Aug 21] Intel launches first artificial intelligence chip Springhill, The Hindu report; News18 report.
- [Aug 22] Facial recognition attendance systems for teachers to be installed in Gujarat’s govt schools, Medianama report.
- [Aug 26] Yogi Govt Plans To Install Artificial Intelligence System In 12,500 Public Sector Buses, Business World report.
- [Aug 24] PMO clears BSNL-MTNL revival, merger off the table, The Economic Times report.
- [Aug 19] Trump reiterates Huawei as ‘national security threat’, Cnet report.
- [Aug 20] Tech giant Huawei slams US administration, calls sanctions politically motivated, India Today report.
- [Aug 20] US sanctions on Huawei bite, but who gets hurt? Livemint report.
- [Aug 21] Huawei founder tells staff it faces ‘live or die’ moment, Tech Radar report.
- [Aug 22] Aadhaar-Social Media linking case: Next SC hearing to take place on 13 September, Firstpost report.
- [Aug 22] China telcos weigh sharing 5G network to cut costs, potentially hurting Huawei, Reuters report.
- [Aug 23] Huawei puts a price for Trump’s moves: $10 billion, The Hindu Business Line report
- [Aug 25] trump, UK’s Johnson discuss Huawei on G7 sidelines, Reuters report.
Opinions and Analyses
- [Aug 19] Vishal Krishna, Your Story, Data privacy is a fundamental right, but is the Indian startup ecosystem prepared for new protection law?
- [Aug 19] Nitin Pai, Livemint, Appointing a chief of defence staff would just be the first step.
- [Aug 19] Priyanjali Malik, The Hindu, An intervention that leads to more questions.
- [Aug 19] Abhijit Iyer-Mitra, The Print, India needs tips from Israel on how to handle Kashmir. Blocking network is not one of them.
- [Aug 19] Ria Singh Sawhney, The Wire, Aadhaar: A Primer to knowing your rights.
- [Aug 19] Alok Deb, Institute for Defence Studies and Analysis, Finally a CDS for the Indian Armed Forces.
- [Aug 20] TOI Editorial, Aadhaar Hydra again: EC wants to link voter roll to Aadhaar data, this is unnecessary and risky.
- [Aug 20] Lt. Gen. Harwant Singh (Retd), The Economic Times, A CDS for the armed forces must come with full play.
- [Aug 20] Darren Death, Forbes, Is cybersecurity automation the future?
- [Aug 20] Asit Ranjan Mishra, Livemint, Why New Delhi is turning up the heat on PoK now.
- [Aug 21] Financial Express Opinion, Election ID linked to Aadhaar can make votes portable.
- [Aug 21] Nabeel Ahmed, Read Write, Artificial Intelligence: A tool or a threat to cybersecurity?
- [Aug 21] Asheeta Regidi, Firstpost, Aadhaar-social media account linking could result in creation of a surveillance state, deprive fundamental right to privacy.
- [Aug 22] Sanjay Hegde, The Hindu, Sacrificing liberty for national security.
- [Aug 22] Ahmed Ali Fayyaz, The Quint, Fall of J&K: Real reason – ‘Jamhooriyat, Insaniyat, Kashmiriyat’?
- [Aug 22] AS Dulat, The Telegraph, Kashmir: The perils of a muscular approach.
- [Aug 22] Somnath Mukherjee, The Economic Times, Growth is the biggest national security issue.
- [Aug 22] K Raveendran, The Leaflet, Aadhaar-social media profile linkage will open pandora’s box.
- [Aug 22] Mariarosaria Taddeo and Francesca Bosco, World Economic Forum blog, We must treat cybersecurity as a public good, here’s why.
- [Aug 23] Nikhil Pahwa, Medianama, Against Facebook-Aadhaar linking.
- [Aug 23] Ilker Koksal, Forbes, The rise of crypto as payment currency.
- [Aug 24] Kalev Lataru, Forbes, Social media platforms will increasingly define ‘truth’.
- [Aug 25] Sandeep Unnithan, India Today, South block.
- [Aug 25] Spy’s Eye, Outlook, Intel agencies need strengthening.
- [Aug 26] Prasanna S., The Hindu, Privacy no longer supreme.
- [Aug 26] Sunil Abraham, Business Standard, Linking Aadhaar with social media or ending encryption is counterproductive.
- [Aug 26] The Financial Express Opinion, Linking social media to Aahdaar is serious overkill.