The Parliament passed the Aadhaar Amendment Bill, expected to have a far-reaching impact on data sharing with private companies and State Governments; France rolled out a new “digital tax” for Big Tech, Facebook slapped with a massive $5bn fine by the US FTC, while uncertainty over Huawei’s inclusion in India’s 5G trials deepens — presenting this week’s most important developments in law and tech.
In focus this week: opinions and analyses of the Defence Budget for 2019-20.
- [July 8] Parliament passes Aadhaar amendment bill, The Hindu Business Line report.
- [July 8] RS clears bill on voluntary use of Aadhaar as ID proof, Live Mint report.
- [July 8] Techie moves Madras High Court assailing compulsory linking of Aadhaar with Universal Account Number (UAN) to avail EPFO pension, The Economic Times report.
- [July 9] You are not bound to share Aadhaar data with schools, banks and telcos, DNA India report.
- [July 9] ‘Ordinance on Aadhaar use doesn’t survive as House has cleared the Bill’: Centre tells SC, The Hindu report.
- [July 10] Aadhaar Bill passage in Parliament: New clause helps secure non-NDA votes, The Economic Times report.
- [July 11] PAN not linked to Aadhaar will become invalid from September, Business Standard report.
- [July 11] Aadhaar amendments: New clause to allow use of Aadhaar data for state schemes, Live Mint report.
- [July 11] Amendment: no Aadhaar for mobile wallet firms, The Economic Times report.
- [July 11] All your Aadhaar fears are coming true in Assam, HuffPost India report.
- [July 13] Rajya Sabha passes Aadhaar amendment Bill, allows to file complaint in case of security breach, India Today report.
- [July 14] You may soon have to pay Rs. 10,000 as fine for entering wrong Aadhaar number for transactions, New 18 report.
- [July 9] Twitter backs off broad limits on ‘Dehumanizing Speech’, The New York Times report.
- [July 10] TikTok influencers charged for hate speech and attempting to incite communal violence, Business Insider report.
- [July 13] White House Social Media recap, National Public Radio report, CNN report, The New York Times report, Engadget report. The Verge report.
- [July 13] FIRs against 10 for poems that try to ‘hinder NRC’ in Assam, Times of India report.
- [July 15] RSS wing calls for TikTok, Helo ban, The Economic Times report.
- [July 8] Indian parliament members call for Data Protection Bill and TikTok ban, Inc42 report.
- [July 8] British Airways fined record 183 million for data breach involving 500,000 customers: report, Medianama report, BBC report.
- [July 9] Digital data protection to be a fundamental right in Brazil as amendment to constitution is approved, Medianama report.
- [July 12] Not ‘Okay Google’: Firms admits that workers listen to audio from Assistant, Home, Medianama report, Fox News report, VRT News report.
- [July 12] Google data breach faces review by Irish privacy watchdog, Bloomberg report.
- [July 13] Facebook fined $ 5 billion by US regulators over privacy and data protection lapses, News 18 report, The Hindu Business Line report.
- [July 13] Indian Govt is selling vehicle owner data to companies and citizens don’t have a clue, Inc42 report, Entrackr report.
- [July 15] Data protection law must be the same for both private and government players, The New Indian Express report.
- [July 15] PMO panel seeks multinational companies’ inputs on making India electronics hub, ET Telecom report.
Data Localisation and E-Commerce
- [July 11] Gautam Adani woos Amazon and Google with Indian data hubs, ET Telecom report.
- [July 9] A tug of war hots the draft e-commerce policy. US tech giants want leeway in data localisation, ET Prime report. [paywall]
- [July 15] Delhi and Bengaluru customs stop clearing ‘gifts’, Economic Times report, Medianama report.
- [July 15] Inter-ministerial panel clears draft RFP to select auctioneer for 2019 spectrum sale, ET Telecom report.
More on Huawei
- [July 10] Huawei makes Monaco world’s fully 5G country, Live Mint report.
- [July 10] Huawei ban eased but tech can’t relax, Financial Times report.
- [July 11] NSAB members, Chinese diplomat cross swords over Huawei, Indian Express report.
- [July 12] Doubts over Huawei’s participation in India’s 5G rollout deepen, Live Mint report, NDTV Gadgets 360 report.
- [July 14] Huawei plans extensive layoffs at its US operations, Live Mint report, The Economic Times report.
- [July 13] US tells Britain: Fall in line over China and Huawei, or no trade deal, The Telegraph report.
- [July 14] US seeks to discredit UK spies in war against Huawei, The Times UK report.
Big Tech: Regulation
- [July 11] France passes law taxing digital giants in defiance of US anger, Agence France Presse report.
- [July 10] US Announces Inquiry of French Digital Tax that may end in tariffs, The New York Times report.
- [July 9] Indian govt to educate top cops on cryptocurrencies, aiming to investigate crypto matters, CrytpoNewZ report.
- [July 9] Facebook to Senators: Libra crypto will respect privacy, Coin Desk report.
- [July 11] Winklevoss-backed crypto self-regulatory group prepares to woo congress, Coin Desk report.
- [July 12] Japanese crypto exchange hacked, loses $ 32 million, The Hindu Business Line report, Coin Telegraph report.
- [July 13] Study exposes how Russia, Iran and China are weaponizing crypto, CNN report.
- [July 13] China’s illegal crypto mining crackdown could ignite a bitcoin price rally, CNN report.
- [July 15] IRS confirms it trained staff to find crypto wallets, Coin Desk report.
- [July 9] AI in cybersecurity expected to surpass $38 billion, Security Boulevard report.
- [July 14] How aritifical intelligence is solving different business problems, Financial Express report.
- [July 14] Why AI is the future of cybersecurity, Forbes report.
- [July 8] Chinese hackers demonstrate their global cyber espionage reach with breach at 10 of the world’s biggest telecoms, CPO Magazine report.
- [July 12] Businesses in India tapping AI to improve cybersecurity, The Economic Times report, Fortune India report.
- [July 15] Indian IT managers facing budget crunch for cybersecurity, The Economic Times report.
Tech and Law Enforcement: Surveillance and Cyber Crime
- [July 8] NCRB invites bids to implement Automated Facial Recognition System, Medianama report.
- [July 9] The chase gets a lot easier for tech-wielding cops now, The Economic Times report.
- [July 9] Delhi government begins installing CCTV cameras inside classrooms to prevent crime: report, Medianama report. Times now News report.
- [July 10] Instagram announces two new anti-bullying features, Instagram’s announcement, Thw Wall Street Journal report, Medianama report.
- [July 11] WhatsApp messages can be traced without diluting encryption, Zee News report.
- [July 12] New POCSO bill to expand child porn definition to include anime, adults posing depicting children, Medianma report, Hindustan Times report.
- [July 12] SC refuses to stay installation of CCTV cameras in Delhi Government schools, Medianama report, Bar & Bench report.
Tech and Military
- [July 8] Japan-India security cooperation: Asian giants to expand their relations to Space, Financial Express report.
- [July 8] Bill to tag individuals as ‘terrorist’ introduced in LS, Opposition protests: The Unlawful Activities (Prevention) Act Amendment Bill, 2019, Business Standard report.
- [July 8] Government introduces Bill in Lok Sabha to amend National Investigation Agency Act, The Economic Times report.
- [July 8] Govt to procure 1.86 lakh bullet proof jackets by April next, The Hindu Business Line report.
- [July 8] India, Russia agree on new payment mode for S-400 deal to get around US sanctions, The Print report.
- [July 9] National e-Governance Division to revamp management app for the army, The Week report.
- [July 9] Amazon, Microsoft wage war over the Pentagon’s ‘war cloud’, NDTV Gadgets 360 report
- [July 10] Last chance to get tech: Navy says negotiating next 6 subs to take years, Business Standard report.
- [July 10] Tactical communications market size in the US region is projected to experience substantial proceeds by 2024, Tech Mag report.
- [July 11] Govt says looking at tech to seal northern and eastern borders, Live Mint report.
- [July 11] Army man arrested for leaking info on national security, The Tribune report.
- [July 12] Wait for sniper rifles gets longer, MoD retracts the RFP issued last year, Financial Express report.
- [July 12] India, Russia discuss space cooperation, The Hindu report
- [July 12] Israel arms company signs $100 million missile deal with Indian army, Middle East Monitor report.
Defense Budget: Reports and Analyses
- [July 8] Budget 2019: India redirects foreign aid to Indian ocean countries, NSCS expenditure hiked, Business Standard report.
- [July 8] Laxman K Behera, Institute for Defense Studies and Analysis, India’s Defence budget 2019-20.
- [July 8] PK Vasudeva, Deccan Herald, An alarming fall: Defence Budget 2019-20.
- [July 8] Mihir S Sharma, Business Standard, Budget 2019: India won’t become a superpower with these allocations.
- [July 9] PRS Legislative Research’s analysis: Ministry of Defence Demands for Grants 2019-20.
- [July 9] Why Sitharaman’s budgetary allocation is unlikely to satisfy defence establishment, The Economic Times report.
- [July 10] Brahma Chellaney, Hindustan Times, India’s defence planning has no clear strategic direction.
- [July 10] Harsh V Pant, Live Mint Opinion, We need not whine about India’s small defence budget.
- [July 12] Commodore Anil Jai Singh, Financial Express, Budget 2019: Optimising the Defence Budget and the need for organizational reform.
- [July 13] Shekhar Gupta, The Print, Modi isn’t about to change India into national security state like Pakistan and bankrupt it.
- [July 13] Budget 2019: Cybersecurity – a holy grail for government’s Digital India dream, Financial Express analysis.
- [July 15] Ravi Shanker Kapoor, News 18 Opinion, Cost of not carrying out economic reforms: acute shortage of funds for military modernization.
Opinions and Anlayses
- [July 8] Adam Bemma, Al Jazeera, Is Sri Lanka using the Easter attacks to limit digital freedom?
- [July 9] Dr M Suresh Babu and Dr K Bhavana Raj, The Hans India, Data Protection Bill – boon or bane for digital economy?
- [July 8] Walter Olson, The CATO Institute blog, One year later, the harms of Europe’s data-privacy law.
- [July 8] Jack Parrock, Euro News, The Brief: Data privacy v. surveillance transatlantic clash.
- [July 9] Abhijit Mukhopadhyaya and Nishant Jha, ORF, Amidst US-China standoff Huawei battles for survival.
- [July 10] Kuldip Kunmar, The Economic Times, Budget 2019 shows govt’s will to use Aadhaar to track financial transactions.
- [July 11] Darryn Pollock, Forbes, Is Facebook forming a crypto mafia as Libra foundation members boost each other’s businesses?
- [July 12] Amitendu Palit, Financial Express, India ditches data dialogue again.
- [July 12] Shantanu Roy-Chaudhary, The Diplomat, India-China-Sri Lanka Triangle: The Defense Dimension.
- [July 12] Richard A Clarke and Robert K Knake, The Wall Street Journal, US companies learn to defend themselves in cyberspace.
- [July 12] Simon Chandler, Coin Telegraph, US Sanctions on Iran Crypto Mining— Inevitable or Impossible?
- [July 12] Shekhar Chnadra, Scientific American, What to expect from India’s second Moon mission.
- [July 14] Agnidipto Tarafder and Siddharth Sonkar, The Wire, Will the Aadhaar Amendment Bill Pass Judicial Scrutiny?
- [July 14] Scott Williams, Live Wire, Your crypto overlords are coming…
- [July 15] Why Google cloud hasn’t picked up yet in India, ET Telecom report.