This week Telecom Minister RS Prasad announced 5G spectrum allocation this year, or by early 2020; The Supreme Court will hear matters relating to Article 370, including communication shutdowns and detentions on Monday; Indian trader bodies seek bans on Amazon and Flipkart festive sales; and MEITY constitutes a non-personal data committee to be headed by S. Gopalakrishnan.
- [Sep 13] Linking of social media with Aadhaar: Supreme Court asks govt to share plans, Livemint report.
- [Sep 14] IT ministry doesn’t favour linking Aadhaar & social media accounts, The Times of India report.
- [14 Sep] PAN-Aadhaar cards linkage deadline this month. How to link or check status, Livemint report.
- [Sep 15] Aadhaar verification to be mandatory for new dealers from January 2020: GST Network, Business Today report.
Digital India and MEITY
- [Sep 10] MeitY pings UIDAI on Aadhaar-social media linking, The Economic Times report.
- [Sep 11] MeitY Demands Update Over Objectionable Content From Facebook, Twitter, Inc42 report.
- [Sep 16] When Yogi Adityanath stepped in to stop Samsung from leaving UP, The Hindustan Times report.
- [Sep 16] Indian govt forms committee to recommend governance norms for non-personal data, Infosys’ Gopalakrishnan to head it, Medianama report; Business Standard report; Indian Express report; ET Tech report.
Data Protection and Governance
- [Sep 12] 4 New Data Protection Trends in India Jeopardize Innovation, The Diplomat report.
- [Sep 12] Government’s proposed data protection bill to be significant in building data privacy norms in India: Omidyar Network India, CNBCTV18 report.
- [Sep 12] School ‘bans’ surnames because of ‘data protection’, Metro UK report.
- [Sep 13] Hefty Fines Considered for Noncompliance with Russia’s Data Protection, Internet Laws, Lexology.com report.
Online Content Regulation
- [Sep 10] Govt & Social Media Regulation: A year of ups & downs, yet no clarity, ET Tech report.
- [Sep 10] India: Minimum Modicum Of Obscenity & Need Of Online Content Regulation In India, Mondaq.com report.
- [Sep 11] Host Violent Content? In Australia, You Could Go to Jail, The Ney York Times report.
- [Sep 12] Internet regulator instructs platforms to create ‘healthy’ online environment, Technode report.
- [Sep 15] Universities In Iran Implementing Tough New Regulation To Deter Students From Activism, Radio Farda report.
- [Sep 16] Major streaming platforms commit to produce responsible content, The Manilla Times report.
- [Sep 10] Jack Ma steps down as Alibaba chairman, CEO Daniel Zhang to succeed him, Medianama report.
- [Sep 14] CAIT urges government to ban festival sales by e-commerce players, The Times of India report.
- [Sep 16] Indian Trader Body Seeks Ban on Amazon, Flipkart’s Festive Season Sales: Report, First Post report.
- [Sep 16] US antitrust officials investigate Amazon’s marketplace practices, Medianama report.
Cryptocurrency and FinTech
- [Sep 13] Lord Mayor of London leads fintech mission to India, The Economic Times report.
- [Sep 13] RBI should give FinTech firms access to transaction and account history data: Finance Ministry’s FinTech report, Medianama report.
- [Sep 14] Trump Executive Order Banning A Cryptocurrency Could Mutate Into Far-Reaching Law, Forbes report.
- [Sep 15] Wall Street banks are upping bets on their potential fintech competitors, CNBC report.
- [Sep 15] Regulators to question Facebook over new Libra cryptocurrency, The Guardian report.
- [Sep 16] Report: Philippine Police Raid Alleged Cryptocurrency Scam, Arrest 277, Cointelegraph report.
- [Sep 10] Smart Cities Will Require Smarter Cybersecurity, The Wall Street Journal report.
- [Sep 12] Delhi Airport Facial Recognition Trial Calls for Establishment of Cybersecurity Laws, News18 report.
- [Sep 16] NZ provides $10 million to help Pacific countries lift cybersecurity capability, CIO New Zealand report; ZDnet report.
- [Sep 16] Chicago Brokerage to Pay $1.5 million Fine for Lack of Cybersecurity, Securitymagazine.com report.
- [Sep 16] Cybercriminals Are Targeting Pharma Companies, And India Sees The Sixth Highest Attacks, News18 report.
Tech and National Security
- [Sep 13] California lawmakers ban facial-recognition software from police body cams, CNN Business report.
- [Sep 16] U.S. Targets North Korean Hacking as Rising National-Security Threat, Wall Street Journal report.
Tech and Elections
- [Sep 15] Snapchat launches political ads library as 2020 election ramps up, CNN Business report.
Internal Security: J&K
- [Sep 15] SC to hear pleas against Centre’s move to abrogate Article 370, restrictions in J&K on Monday, Zee News report.
- [Sep 15] ‘If Political Party Can Avail it, Why Not Locals?’ Internet Access to BJP From Media Centre Irks Kashmiris, News18 report.
- [Sep 16] Farooq Abdullah detained under Public Safety Act for 12 days, The Hindu report.
- [Sep 16] Kashmir LIVE: Not a Single Bullet Fired Since Scrapping of J&K’s Special Status, Centre Tells SC, News 18 report.
- [Sep 16] SC asks Centre, J&K to restore normalcy in state keeping in mind national interest, The Times of India report.
- [Sep 13] National security: Fortifying Defence, India Today report.
- [Sep 15] Will implement NRC in Haryana, says CM Khattar, The Times of India report.
- [Sep 16] Will Implement Citizens’ List “When UP Needs It”: Yogi Adityanath, NDTV report.
- [Sep 10] Telcos face another hit, may have to pay Rs 41,000 crore more as spectrum charges, The Economic Times report.
- [Sep 16] Telecom department aims to connect uncovered villages by 2022, ET Telecom report.
- [Sep 16] 5G spectrum auction this year or in early 2020: Telecom Minister RS Prasad, Medianama report.
- [Sep 16] WhatsApp offers India traceability alternatives, ET Telecom report.
More on Huawei
- [Sep 9] New Huawei ‘Workaround’ May Put Google Apps Back On Mate 30, Evading Blacklist, Forbes report.
- [Sep 14] Huawei Offers To License 5G Technology To U.S. To Flush Out Trump, Forbes report.
- [Sep 15] Trade war between US and China follows Huawei to Africa, South China Morning Post report.
- [Sep 16] US semiconductor companies urge Trump to hurry Huawei licenses, South China Morning Post report.
- [Sep 10] 21 per cent Indian IT managers consider Internet of Things threats top security risk, The New Indian Express report.
- [Sep 12] Artificial intelligence: Expert committee to explore the development of a legal framework, The Council of Europe press release.
- [Sep 15] Ericsson acquires Niche AI workforce for India centre, The Hindu Business Line report.
Opinions and Analyses
- [Sep 12] Editorial, The New York Times, What Won’t Netanyahu Say to Get Re-elected?
- [Sep 13] Editorial, The Hindu, John Bolton goes: On the sacking of U.S. National Security Advisor.
- [Sep 15] Karen Roby, Tech Republic, How holding off on 5G can save money and help the environment.
- [Sep 15] Editorial, Wall Street Journal, Why London Spurned Hong Kong.
- [Sep 15] Michael Bloomberg, The New York Post, Rage has free speech under siege on the American campus.
- [Sep 15] Editorial, The Hindustan Times, The language question.
- [Sep 16] Editorial, The Hindu, Effort worth emulation: On Rajasthan’s public information portal.
- [Sep 16] Markandey Katju, The Hindu, The litmus test for free speech.