This week, Delhi International Airport deployed facial recognition on a ‘trial basis’ for 3 months, landline communications were restored in Kashmir as the Government mulls over certification for online video streaming platforms like Netflix and PrimeVideo – presenting this week’s most important developments in law, tech and national security.
- [Sep 3] PAN will be issued automatically using Aadhaar for filing returns: CBDT, DD News report.
- [Sep 3] BJD set to collect Aadhaar numbers of its members in Odisha, Opposition parties slam move, News 18 report; The New Indian Express report; Financial Express report.
- [Sep 5] Aadhaar is secure, says ex-UIDAI chief, Times of India report.
- [Sep 5] Passport-like Aadhaar centre opened in Chennai: Online appointment booking starts, Livemint report.
- [Sep 8] Plans to link Janani Suraksha and Matra Vandan schemes with Aadhaar: CM Yogi Adityanath, Times of India report.
- [Sep 5] Digital media bodies welcome 26% FDI cap, Times of India report.
- [Sep 6] Automation ‘not threat’ to India’s IT industry, ET Tech report.
- [Sep 6] Tech Mahindra to modernise AT&T network systems, Tech Circle report.
Data Protection and Governance
- [Sep 2] Health data comes under the purview of Data Protection Bill: IAMAI, Inc42 report.
- [Sep 2] Credit history should not be viewed as sensitive data, say online lenders, Livemint report.
- [Sep 3] MeitY may come up with policy on regulation of non-personal data, Medianama report.
- [Sep 3] MeitY to work on a white paper to gain clarity on public data regulations, Inc42 report.
- [Sep 6] Treating data as commons is more beneficial, says UN report, Medianama report.
- [Sep 9] Indian Government may allow companies to sell non-personal data of its users, Inc42 report, The Economic Times report.
- [Sep 9] Tech firms may be compelled to share public data of its users, ET Tech report.
Data Privacy and Breaches
- [Sep 2] Chinese face-swap app Zao faces backlash over user data protection, KrAsia report; Medianama report.
- [Sep 2] Study finds Big Data eliminates confidentiality in court judgments, Swiss Info report.
- [Sep 4] YouTube will pay $170 million to settle claims it violated child privacy laws, CNBC report; FTC Press Release.
- [Sep 4] Facebook will now let people opt-out of its face recognition feature, Medianama report.
- [Sep 4] Mental health websites in Europe found sharing user data for ads, Tech Crunch report.
- [Sep 5] A huge database of Facebook users’ phone numbers found online, Tech Crunch report.
- [Sep 5] Twitter has temporarily disabled tweet to SMS feature, Medianama report.
- [Sep 6] Fake apps a trap to track your device and crucial data, ET Tech report.
- [Sep 6] 419 million Facebook users phone numbers leaked online, ET Tech report; Medianama report.
- [Sep 9] Community social media platform, LocalCircles, highlights data misuse worries, The Economic Times report.
- [Sep 7] Freedom of expression is not absolute: PCI Chairman, The Hindu report.
- [Sep 7] Chennai: Another IAS officer resign over ‘freedom of expression’, Deccan Chronicle report.
- [Sep 8] Justice Deepak Gupta: Law on sedition needs to be toned down if not abolished, The Wire report.
Online Content Regulation
- [Sep 3] Government plans certification for Netflix, Amazon Prime, Other OTT Platforms, Inc42 report.
- [Sep 4] Why Justice for Rights went to court, asking for online content to be regulated, Medianama report.
- [Sep 4] Youtube claims new hate speech policy working, removals up 5x, Medianama report.
- [Sep 6] MeitY may relax norms on content monitoring for social media firms, ET Tech report; Inc42 report; Entrackr report.
- [Sep 4] Offline retailers accuse Amazon and Flipkart of deep discounting, predatory pricing and undercutting, Medianama report; Entrackr report.
- [Sep 6] Companies rely on digital certification startups to foolproof customer identity, ET Tech report.
Digital Payments and FinTech
- [Sep 3] A sweeping reset is in the works to bring India in line with fintech’s rise, The Economic Times report.
- [Sep 3] Insurance and lending companies in agro sector should use drones to reduce credit an insurance risks: DEA’s report on fintech, Medianama report.
- [Sep 3] Panel recommends regulating fintech startups, RBI extends KYC deadline for e-wallet companies, TechCircle report.
- [Sep 4] NABARD can use AI and ML to create credit scoring registry: Finance Ministry report on FinTech, Medianama report.
- [Sep 5] RBI denies action against Paytm Payments bank over PIL allegation, Entrackr report.
- [Sep 5] UPI entities may face market share cap, ET Tech report.
- [Sep 6] NBFC license makes fintech startups opt for lending, ET Tech report.
- [Sep 9] Ease access to credit history: Fintech firms, ET Markets report.
- [Sep 1] Facebook hires lobbyists to boost crypto-friendly regulations in Washington, Yahoo Finance report.
- [Sep 2] US Congress urged to regulate crypto under Bank Secrecy Act, Coin Telegraph report.
- [Sep 2] Indian exchanges innovate as calls for positive crypto regulation escalate, Bitcoin.com report.
- [Sep 4] Marshall Islands official explains national crypto with fixed supply, Coin Telegraph report.
- [Sep 5] Apple thinks cryptocurrency has “long-term potential”, Quartz report.
- [Sep 5] NSA reportedly developing quantum-resistant ‘crypto’, Coin Desk report.
- [Sep 6] Crypto stablecoins may face bottleneck, ET Markets report.
- [Sep 3] Google’s Android suffers sustained attacks by anti-Ugihur hackers, Forbes report.
- [Sep 4] Firefox will not block third-party tracking and cryptomining by default for all users, Medianama report.
- [Sep 4] Insurance companies are fueling ransomware attacks, Defense One report.
- [Sep 5] Firms facing shortage of skilled workforce in cybersecurity: Infosys Research, The Economic Times report.
- [Sep 5] Cybersecurity a boardroom imperative in almost 50% of global firms: Survey, Outlook report; ANI report.
- [Sep 5] DoD unveils new cybersecurity certification model for contractors, Federal News Network report.
- [Sep 5] Jigsaw Academy launches cybersecurity certification programme in India, DQ India report.
- [Sep 6] Indians lead the world as Facebook Big Bug Hunters, ET Tech report.
- [Sep 6] Australia is getting a new cybersecurity strategy, ZD Net report.
- [Sep 9] China’s 5G, industrial internet roll-outs to fuel more demand for cybersecurity, South China Morning Post report.
Tech and National Security
- [Sep 3] Apache copters to be inducted today, The Pioneer report.
- [Sep 3] How AI will predict Chinese and Russian moves in the Pacific, Defense One report.
- [Sep 3] US testing autonomous border-patrol drones, Defense One report.
- [Sep 3] Meet the coalition pushing for ‘Cyber Peace’ rules. Defense One report.
- [Sep 4] US wargames to try out concepts for fighting China, Russia, defense One report.
- [Sep 4] Southern Command hosts seminar on security challenges, Times of India report; The Indian Express report.
- [Sep 4] Russia, already India’s biggest arms supplier, in line for more, Business Standard report.
- [Sep 4] Pentagon, NSA prepare to train AI-powered cyber defenses, Defense One report.
- [Sep 5] Cabinet clears procurement of Akash missile system at Rs. 5500 crore, Times Now report.
- [Sep 5] India to go ahead with $3.1 billion US del for maritime patrol aircraft, The Economic Times report.
- [Sep 5] DGCA certifies ‘small’ category drone for complying with ‘No-Permission, No-Takeoff’ protocol, Medianama report.
- [Sep 5] India has never been aggressor but will not hesitate in using its strength to defend itseld: Rajnath Singh, The Economic Times report.
- [Sep 5] Panel reviewing procurement policy framework to come out with new versions of DPP, DPM by March 2020, The Economic Times report; Business Standard report; Deccan Herald report.
- [Sep 5] Russia proposes joint development of submarines with India, The Hindu report.
- [Sep 7] Proud of you: India tells ISRO after contact lost with CHandrayaan-2 lander, India Today report.
Tech and Elections
- [Sep 4] ECI asks social media firms to follow voluntary code of ethics ahead of state polls: report, Medianama report.
- [Sep 6] Congress party to reorganise its data analytics department, Medianama report.
- [Sep 5] Why the 2020 campaigns are still soft targets for hackers, Defense One report.
- [Sep 5] Facebook meets with FBI to discuss election security, Bloomberg report.
- [Sep 5] Facebook is making its own AI deepfakes to head off a disinformation disaster, MIT Tech Review report.
Internal Security: J&K
- [Sep 4] Long convoy, intel failure: Multiple lapses led to Pulwama terror attack, finds CRPF inquiry, India Today report; Kashmir Media Service report; The Wire report.
- [Sep 4] Extension of President’s Rule in Kashmir was not delayed, MHA says in report to SC lawyer’s article, Scroll.in report.
- [Sep 6] Landline communication restored in Kashmir Valley: Report, Medianama report.
- [Sep 7] Kashmir’s Shia areas face curbs, all Muharram processions banned, The Quint report.
- [Sep 7] No question of army atrocities in Kashmir as it’s only fighting terrorists: NSA Ajit Doval, India Today report.
- [Sep 8] More than 200 militants trying to cross into Kashmir from Pakistan: Ajit Doval, Money Control report.
- [Sep 8] ‘Such unilateral actions are futile’, says India after Pakistan blocks airspace for President Kovind, Scroll.in report; NDTV report.
Internal Security: NRC
- [Sep 2] Contradictory voices in Assam Congress son NRC: Tarun Gogoi slams it as waste paper, party MP says historic document, India Today report.
- [Sep 3] Why Amit Shah is silent on NRC, India Today report.
- [Sep 7] AFSPA extended for 6 months in Assam, Deccan Herald report.
- [Sep 7] At RSS mega meet, concerns over Hindus being left out of NRC: Sources, Financial Express report.
National Security Institutions and Legislation
- [Sep 5] Azhar, Saeed, Dawood declared terrorists under UAPA law, Deccan Herald report; The Economic Times report.
- [Sep 8] Home Minister says India’s national security apparatus more robust than ever, Livemint report.
- [Sep 8] Financial safety not national security reason for women to join BSF: Study, India Today report.
- [Sep 6] Security is an issue in 5G: NCSC Pant on Huawei, Times of India report.
More on Huawei
- [Sep 1] Huawei believes banning it from 5G will make countries insecure, ZD Net report.
- [Sep 2] Huawei upbeat on AI strategy for India, no word on 5G roll-out plans yet, Business Standard report.
- [Sep 3] Huawei denies US allegations of technology theft, NDTV Gadgets 260 report; Business Insider report; The Economic Times report.
- [Sep 3] Shocking Huawei ‘Extortion and Cyberattack’ allegations in new US legal fight, Forbes report; Livemint report, BBC News report; The Verge report.
- [Sep 3] Committed to providing the most advanced products: Huawei, ET Telecom report.
- [Sep 4] Huawei says 5G rollout in India will be delayed by 3 years if it’s banned, Livemint report
- [Sep 4] Trump not interested in talking Huawei with China, Tech Circle report.
- [Sep 5] Nepal’s only billionaire enlists Huawei to transform country’s elections, Financial Times report.
- [Sep 8] Trump gets shocking new Huawei warning – from Microsoft, Forbes report.
- [Aug 30] Facebook is building an AI Assistant Inside Minecraft, Forbes report.
- [Sep 3] AWS partners with IIT KGP for much needed push to India’s AI skilling, Inc42 report.
- [Sep 3] Behind the Rise of China’s facial recognition giants, Wired report.
- [Sep 4] Facebook won’t use facial recognition on you unless you tell it to, Quartz report.
- [Sep 4] An AI app that turns you into a movie star has risked the privacy of millions, MIT Technology Review report.
- [Sep 6] Police use f facial recognition is accepted by British Court, The New York Times report.
- [Sep 6] Facebook, Microsoft announce challenge to detect deepfakes, Medianama report.
- [Sep 6] Facial recognition tech to debut at Delhi airport’s T3 terminal; on ‘trial basis’ for next three months, Medianama report.
- [Sep 3] After more than 10 weeks, internet services in towns of Rakhine and Chin restored, Medianama report.
- [Sep 4] Bangladesh bans mobile phone services in Rohingya camps, Medianama report.
Opinions and Analyses
- [Sep 2] Michael J Casey, Coin Desk, A crypto fix for a broken international monetary system.
- [Sep 2] Yengkhom Jilangamba, News18 Opinion, Not a solution to immigration problem, NRC final list has only brought to surface fault lines within society.
- [Sep 2] Samuel Bendett, Defense One, What Russian Chatbots Think About Us.
- [Sep 2] Shivani Singh, Hindustan Times, India’s no first use policy is a legacy that must be preserved.
- [Sep 3] Abir Roy, Financial Express, Why a comprehensive law is needed for data protection.
- [Sep 3] Dhirendra Kumar, The Economic Times, Aadhaar is back for mutual fund investments.
- [Sep 3] Ashley Feng, Defense One, Welcome to the new phase of US-China tech competition.
- [Sep 3] Nesrine Malik, The Guardian, The myth of the free speech crisis.
- [Sep 3] Tom Wheeler and David Simpson, Brookings Institution, Why 5G requires new approaches to cybersecurity.
- [Sep 3] Karen Roby, Tech Republic, Why cybersecurity is a big problem for small businesses.
- [Sep 4] Wendy McElroy, Bitcoin.com, Crypto needs less regulation, not more.
- [Sep 4] Natascha Gerlack and Elisabeth Macher, Modaq.com, US CLOUD Act’s potential impact on the GDPR.
- [Sep 4] Peter Kafka, Vox, The US Government isn’t ready to regulate the internet. Today’s Google fine shows why.
- [Sep 5] Murtaza Bhatia, Firstpost, Effective cybersecurity can help in accelerating business transformation.
- [Sep 5] MG Devasahayam, The Tribune, Looking into human rights violations by Army.
- [Sep 5] James Hadley, Forbes, Cybersecurity Frameworks: Not just for bits and bytes, but flesh and blood too.
- [Sep 5] MR Subramani, Swarajya Magazine, Question at heart of TN’s ‘WhatsApp traceability case’: Are you endangering national security if you don’t link your social media account with Aadhaar?
- [ Sep 5] Justin Sherman, Wired, Cold War Analogies are Warping Tech Policy.
- [Sep 6] Nishtha Gautam, The Quint, Peer pressure, militant threats enforcing civil curfew in Kashmir?
- [Sep 6] Harsh V Pant and Kartik Bommakanti, Foreign Policy, Modi reimagines the Indian military.
- [Sep 6] Shuman Rana, Business Standard, Free speech in the crosshairs.
- [Sep 6] David Gokhshtein, Forbes, Thoughts on American Crypto Regulation: Considering the Pros and Cons.
- [Sep 6] Krishan Pratap Singh, NDTV Opinion, How to read Modi Government’s stand on Kashmir.
- [Sep 7] MK Bhadrakumar, Mainstream Weekly, The Big Five on Kashmir.
- [Sep 7] Greg Ness, Security Boulevard, The Digital Cyber Security Paradox.
- [Sep 8] Lt. Gen. DS Hoods, Times of India, Here’s how to take forward the national security strategy.
- [Sep 8] Smita Aggarwal, Livemint, India’s unique public digital platforms to further inclusion, empowerment.