This week, the President assented to the Jammu and Kashmir Reorganisation Bill passed by Parliament, diving the state into two Union Territories as a state-wide communications shutdown continues; Reliance Jio announced release of Jio Fibre and its IoT platform; the cryptocurrency bill likely to come up in the next session of Parliament; PMO expected to give their stance on data localisation soon – presenting this week’s most important developments in law and tech.
- [Aug 8] WhatsApp risk: Hackers can change your messages, claims Israeli cybersecurity firm, Business Today report.
- [Aug 9] Cyberattack warning as dangerous issues found on popular office printers: report, Forbes report.
- [Aug 9] Broadcom-Symantec deal troubles cybersecurity experts, Search Security report.
- [Aug 10] India ranked highest in IoT cyberattacks last quarter: report, News 18 report.
- [Aug 10] Full-on war for cybersecurity talent as threats from hackers worsen, The Business Times report.
- [Aug 5] This is the 51st internet shutdown in Jammu and Kashmir in 2019, Quartz report.
- [Aug 5] India is the world’s leader in internet shutdowns, Foreign Policy report.
Internal Security: Kashmir and Abrogation of Articles 370 and 35A
- [Aug 5] Rajya Sabha passes Jammu and Kashmir Reorganisation Bill, scraps Articles 370, 35A, The Economic Times report.
- [Aug 5] Article 370: Disobedience by Police, bureaucracy factored in, The Economic Times report.
- [Aug 6] J&K Reorganisation Bill passed in Lok Sabha, The Economic Times report.
- [Aug 6] Kashmir in lockdown after autonomy scrapped, BBC News report.
- [Aug 6] Article 370 debate: Who said what as Modi govt scraps J&K’s special status, divides it in 2 UTs, India Today report.
- [Aug 6] 2,000 sat phones, drones, 35k troops: How PM Modi prepped for Article 370 endgame, The Hindustan Times report.
- [Aug 6] With Kashmir move, India risks losing the upper hand of a responsible, nuclear-armed democracy, Quartz report.
- [Aug 6] In Kashmir move, critics say, Modi is trying to make India a Hindu nation, The New York Times report.
- [Aug 7] Legal work behind scrapping of Article 370 began before Lok Sabha polls, The Economic Times report.
- [Aug 7] Article 370: Pakistan to Downgrade Diplomatic Ties with India, The Wire report.
- [Aug 7] NSA Ajit Doval visits J&K, interacts with Kashmiris over lunch, Livemint report.
- [Aug 7] Parliament revokes Article 370, J&K bifurcation sealed, The Hindustan Times report.
- [Aug 8] Ladakh in lockdown as protests flare up against J&K bifurcation, Livemint report.
- [Aug 8] Pak nervous about India’s steps in J&K, says MEA, The Hindu report.
- [Aug 9] Article 370 fallout: Pakistan now decided to ban all cultural exchanges with India, Business Today report; Financial Express report.
- [Aug 9] NSA Ajit Doval approves 600 phones for troops in Kashmir to connect with family, India Today report.
- [Aug 9] Phone services, internet partially restored in Kashmir ahead of Eid, NDTV report.
- [Aug 10] Protests or peace in Srinagar? Videos from the BBC and Prasar Bharti show conflicting footage, Scroll.in report.
- [Aug 10] India asks Pakistan to see ‘new reality’, The Asian Age report.
- [Aug 10] Kashmir updates; Pakistan orders suspension of bus services on 3 routes, India Today report.
- [Aug 10] Union Territories of J&K and Ladakh to come into existence on Sardar Patel’s birth anniversary, News 18 report.
- [Aug 10] After Imran warns on Art 370, sleepy terror camps came alive in PoK: report, Deccan Chronicle report.
- [Aug 10] 1964: When parties wanted Article 370 abrogated, The Hindustan Times report.
- [Aug 10] Pakistan ups the ante over Kashmir, The Hindu report.
- [Aug 11] Why PM Modi acted now on Kashmir? India Today report.
- [Aug 11] India eases restrictions in Kashmir for Eid, The Straits Times report.
- [Aug 11] Petitions in SC on J&K move, The Hindu report; Times of India report.
- [Aug 11] Article 370 removal will result in end of terrorism in Kashmir, asserts Amit Shah, Money Control report.
- [Aug 11] NSA Ajit Doval to oversee Kashmir’s three vital days, India Today report.
Tech and Law Enforcement
- [Aug 6] Pakistan users tweet #ModiKillingKashmiris, cybercrime officials monitor over 1.58 lakh tweets using the tag, The Hindu report.
- [Aug 8] WhatsApp can trace message origin, says IIT-M professor, ET Tech report.
Tech and National Security
- [Aug 5] Centre invites private sector to test military gear, Deccan Herald report.
- [Aug 5] US Defence Secretary insists it wasn’t Trump that demanded $10bn JEDI Cloud review, Data Economy report.
- [Aug 5] US Defence Secretary insists it wasn’t Trump that demanded $10bn JEDI Cloud review, Data Economy report.
- [Aug 7] Defence Ministry to decide on buying two BrahMos missile coastal batteries to tackle enemy warships, ANI News report.
- [Aug 8] Defence acquisition council approves acquisition of two BrahMos missile batteries for Indian navy, Times of India report; ANI News report; The New Indian Express report; Outlook report; Financial Express report.
- [Aug 9] Self-reliance in Defence Sector can be achieved through start-ups: Rajnath Singh, ANI News report.
- [Aug 10] Rajnath Singh promises private companies to go through ideas on easing norms, The Economic Times report.
- [Aug 10] India and US unlikely to sign pact for mutual access to geospatial maps, The Economic Times report.
- [Aug 10] India exporting defence equipment to friendly countries: Defence ministry official, The Economic Times report.
Data Protection Bill
- [Aug 6] India’s Personal data Protetction Bill: What we know so far, Money Control report.
- [Aug 7] Tech firms have no data on proposed data protection bill, ET Tech report.
- [Aug 7] New bill lacks teeth to ensure data protection of Indians: Experts, Outlook report.
- [Aug 12] Delhi Police recommends relaxing of restrictions on investigative agencies in teh data protection Bill, Medianama report.
Data Protection and Privacy
- [Aug 5] UK watchdog eyeing PM Boris Johnson’s Facebook ads data grab, Tech Crunch report.
- [Aug 6] Congress accuses Telangana Govt of provacy breach, MoS for Home Affairs to look into the matter: Report, ANI report; Medianama report.
- [Aug 6] Twitter says it may have used private data for ads without users’ permission, The Hill report.
- [Aug 6] Facebook, Google Twitter aren’t prepared for presidential deepfakes, MIT Technology review report.
- [Aug 9] The Irish Data Protection Commission is looking into how millions of Instagram users’ personal data was harvested by one of the company’s partners, Business Insider report.
- [Aug 9] Amazon’s lead EU data regulator is asking questions about Alexa privacy, Tech Crunch report.
- [Aug 5] Govt proposes grievance officers, tighter rules for Shein, Clun Factory and ecommerce players, Inc42 report
- [Aug 10] New guidelines on e-commerce and data protection are largely positive, The Hindu Business Line report.
- [Aug 8] PMO’s stand on data localisation soon, ET Tech report.
- [Aug 5] Chennai is quickly turning into the new hotbed for SaaS and deep-tech startups, ET Tech report.
- [Aug 6] Summary: National Digital Health Blueprint proposes new body for digital health mission, health data exchanges and registries, Medianama report.
- [Aug 8] Finance Ministry clarification helps startups breathe easy on angel tax, Tech Circle report.
- [Aug 8] Wipro signs 5 year digital transformation deal with Montreal Airport Authority, Tech Circle report.
- [Aug 6] Hyderabad: Rescued kids have same DoB: Traffickers used Aadhaar cards as age proof to escape police’s attention, Deccan Chronicle report.
- [Aug 6] RBI might extend the deadline for full KYC to March 2020: NASSCOM, Inc42 report.
- [Aug 7] Aadhaar is now mandatory for students, but is it legal? The New Indian Express report.
- [Aug 7] Students stare at scholarship setback, Deccan Herald report.
- [Aug 8] Aadhaar for cows and buffaloes: India is developing world’s largest livestock database, Money Control report; The New Indian Express report.
- [Aug 10] TN Govt makes Aadhaar enrolment compulsory for school students, sparks row, The News Minute report.
- [Aug 11] Manipur: Six Rohingya migrants arrested for entering India with fake Aadhaar IDs, The Indian Express report.
- [Aug 12] Aadhaar Pay regains tempo, usage hits 200 million, ET Rise report.
- [Aug 12] Aadhaar enabled payment system witnesses 11% rise in transaction value, Entrackr report.
- [Aug 6] Mobile wallet firms look to RBI for eKYC options, ET Tech report.
- [Aug 8] RBI’s Central Registry to track frauds in payment systems, ET Tech report.
- [Aug 8] RBI brings in major change in Bharat Bill Payment System regime, ET Tech report
- [Aug 4] New Iranian Law: Govt will not recognize crypto-related trade, Coin Telegraph report.
- [Aug 5] Mastercard is building a team to develop crypto, wallet projects, Coin Desk report; Crypto NewsZ report.
- [Aug 5] Cryptocurrency in China: Over the counter, under the table, Coin Deask report.
- [Aug 5] Bitcoin price soars as China softens stance on crypto, devalues Yuanh, Forbes report.
- [Aug 5] Crypto is replacing fiat currency in troubled countries, Forbes report.
- [Aug 6] Privacy Commissioners from around the world raise concerns over Facebook’s Libra privacy risks, Medianama report.
- [Aug 7] ECB says it’s ramping up crypto surveillance to include off-chain data, Coin Telegraph report.
- [Aug 7] South Korean Watchdog plans direct supervision of crypto exchanges, Coin Desk report.
- [Aug 8] Serious security warning issued for world’s biggest bitcoin and crypto exchange, Binance, Forbes report.
- [Aug 8] Indian Supreme Court heard crypto case in depth, Bitcoin News report.
- [Aug 8] State-sponsored Chinese hacking group targeting crypto firms: report, Coin Desk report.
- [Aug 9] India could lose billions in revenue from banning crypto, Coingeek report.
- [Aug 10] Global system to combat crypto-driven money laundering in development, New BTC report.
- [Aug 10] India to introduce Crypto Bill in next Parliament session – a look at community responses, Bitcoin News report.
- [Aug 6] BSNL reviews outsourced functions to save cost; faces rs. 800 crore revenue-expense gap, ET Telecom report.
- [Aug 6] TRAI directs telcos to submit monthly reports on complaints under new pesky call rules, ET Telecom report.
- [Aug 9] 5G Rollout: Govt decision on Huawei role soon, Financial Express report.
- [Aug 12] Reliance Jio launching broadband service on Sep 5, Entrackr report.
More on Huawei
- [Aug 5] Huawei’s latest earnings mask its trouble outside China, Wired report.
- [Aug 6] China warns India of ‘reverse sanctions’ if Huawei is blocked, ET Telecom report; Livemint report; Business Today report.
- [Aug 6] China jobs impacted after Huawei row: Manufacturer, Al Jazeera report.
- [Aug 6] Your company’s surprising supply chain exposure on Huawei, Forbes report.
- [Aug 7] China ‘blackmailing’ India into using Huawei infra: US Congressman, ET Telecom report.
- [Aug 7] Trump administration to ban agencies from directly purchasing equipment or services from Huawei, ZTE and Hickvision, CNBC report.; The Economic Times report
- [Aug 7] Huawei pushes ahead with US $ 1.4 bn R&D Centre in Shanghai in spite of US trade restrictions, South China Morning Post report.
- [Aug 9] Huawei launches own operating system to rival Android, The Economic Times report; Engadget report.
- [Aug 9] More women going up the ladder in global tech firms, ET Tech report.
Internet of Things (IoT)
- [Aug 12] Jio’s IoT platform to be commercially available by January 2020: Mukesh Ambani, Money Control report; News 18 report.
Opinions and Analyses
- [Aug 5] Gautam Bhatia, Indian Constitutional Law and philosophy Blog, The Article 370 Amendments: Key Legal Issues.
- [Aug 5] Marty Puranik, Forbes, Can AI be used to bolster cybersecurity?
- [Aug 5] Matthew Prince, Cloudflare, Terminating Service for 8chan.
- [Aug 5] Ron Shevlin, Forbes, Why does Walmart want a cryptocurrency?
- [Aug 6] Faizan Mustafa, The Indian Express, Explained: What are Articles 370 and 35A?
- [Aug 6] David Lyon and Clin Bennett, The Conversation, Data driven elections and the key questions about voter surveillance.
- [Aug 6] Pratap Bhanu Mehta, The Indian Express, The story of Indian democracy is written in blood and betrayal.
- [Aug 6] Syed Ata Hasnain, Times of India, The end of autonomy: Pakistan’s negative ambitions spurred Centre’s decision on Kammu and Kashmir.
- [Aug 6] Atul Pant, Institute for Defence Studies and Analysis, C2D2: An agile defence acquisition model.
- [Aug 6] Amitabh Mattoo, The Hindu, Piecing together Kashmir’s audacious roadmap.
- [Aug 6] Monika Halan, Livemint, Data is already currency, now you may be able to use own data.
- [Aug 6] Paul Rosenzweig, Lawfare, Preliminary Observations on the Utility of Measuring Cybersecurity.
- [Aug 6] Daisuke Wakabatashi, The New York Times, Legal Shield for Websites Rattles under Onslaught of Hate Speech.
- [Aug 7] Jitendra Singh, Entrackr, Why breaking WhatsApp encryption could have chilling effect on its users.
- [Aug 7] Yau Tsz Yan, The Diplomat, Smart Cities or Surveillance? Huawei in Central Asia.
- [Aug 7] Luv Puri, The Hindu, The new facts on the ground for Kashmir.
- [Aug 8] Wajahat Habibullah, The Hindustan Times, Revocation of Article 370 could trigger a sense of betrayal in Kashmir.
- [Aug 8] Tarun Shridhar, Indian Express, Now, also an Aadhaar card for cattle and buffaloes.
- [Aug 8] Gregory Barber, Wired, AI Needs Your Data – And you should get paid for it.
- [Aug 8] Bibyesh Anand, Foreign Policy, Kashmir is a dress rehearsal for Hindu nationalist fantasies.
- [Aug 8] Katie Mettler, The Washington Post, Why free speech makes it difficult to prosecute white supremacy in America.
- [Aug 9] Avantika Mehta, The Leaflet, Facebook bats for WhatsApp privacy protection.
- [Aug 9] Vikram Mahajan, The Economic Times, India-US Defence Deals: Why CAATSA should be avoided.
- [Aug 9] Guest Author, Medianama, AI in Military Operations: Where does India stand?
- [Aug 10] Suhrith Parthasarthy, The Hindu, Incisive interventions that blunt the RTI’s edge.
- [Aug 11] Navnita Chadha Behera, Deccan Herald, Article 370 meant to extend Indian sovereignty over J&K.
- [Aug 11] Minhaz Merchant, Business World, China after Huawei and Hong Kong.
- [Aug 12] Rakesh K Singh, The Pioneer, Pakistan steps up espionage efforts for Pulwama 2.0.
- [Aug 12] Sandipan Deb, Livemint, The revocation of Article 370 ends a foul majoritarianism.
- [Aug 12] Rayan Naqash, Firstpost, Kashmir after Artilce 370: State’s existential crisis worsens as it grapples with idea that Centre has dissolved mainstream politics.