The Union Budget for 2019-2020 brought with it a boost for using Aadhaar to file I-T returns amid escalating privacy concerns, but disappointed those hoping for larger allocations to modernisation of the armed forces. As the uncertainty over Huawei’s inclusion in 5G trials continues — presenting this week’s most important developments in law and tech.
- [July 4] Aadhaar bill seeking its use as ID to open bank account passes in Lok Sabha, India today report.
- [July 4] UIDAI sets up first Aadhaar centres in Delhi and Vijayawada, to set up 114 more centres in 2019, Medianama report.
- [July 5] Aadhaar ordinance: SC asks Centre, UIDAI to respond to writ petition, The Hindu report; The Economic Times report; Medianma report.
- [July 6] Budget eases criteria of obtaining Aadhaar for NRIs with Indian passport, Business Standard report.
- [July 6] Budget 2019 proposes to make PAN, Aadhaar interchangeable; soon you can file ITR using either of these, The Economic Times report.
- [July 6] J&K Government approves Aadhaar linked payment mode for disbursal of pension, Business Standard report.
- [July 7] Economic survey has based Aadhaar impact on MGNREGS on false assumptions, say researchers, The Hindu report.
- [July 8] I-T to allot PAN to those filing returns only with Aadhaar, Live Mint report.
- [July 2] India saw 11 internet shutdowns in June, 59 so far in 2019, Medianama report.
- [July 4] Internet services in Jaipur set to resume today; parts of the city had been offline after rape of minor, Medianama report.
- [July 4] Facebook, Instagram and WhatsApp back after 8-hour outage that left users unable to upload photos, videos, Medianama report.
- [July 5] Following communal violence, internet remains closed in Agra, India today report.
- [July 3] Centre has no plans to scrap sedition law, Minister tells Rajya Sabha; The Hindu report.
- [July 5] MDMK Chief vaiko convicted in sedition case, sentenced to one year imprisonment, The Hindu Business Line report.
- [July 1] Data Protection Bill: MHA wants insulation for security agencies, The Tribune report.
- [July 2] TikTok illegally collecting data received by China, claims Shashi Tharoor, News18 report.
- [July 2] Tik Tok under investigation in the UK over children’s data use, The Guardian report.
- [July 2] China’s new data protection scheme, The Diplomat report.
- [July 3] Comprehensive legislation on data privacy under formulation: Ravi Shankar Prasad; The Economic Times report.
- [July 4] Won’t allow abuse of Indian data by foreign powers or companies, says RS Prasad in Rajya Sabha , Medianama report.
- [July 5] Govt needs to leverage data as public good to boost welfare of poor, Live Mint report.
- [July 6] Economic Survey pushes for interlinking and selling citizens’ data for private purposes: Rethink Aadhaar, Money Life report.
- [July 4] Qualcomm India extends design challenge to MeitY supported startups, The Economic Times report.
- [July 8] No incentive left for banks to push digital pay, fears fintech, ET Tech report.
- [June 30] ‘Govt Screwed Us’ Crypto Startup Coin Recoil Founder Writes An Open Letter To PM. Inc42 report.
- [July 2] Remaining crypto exchanges in India bet on global markets, ET Tech report.
- [July 3] Bitcoin’s energy consumption ‘equals that of Switzerland’, BBC report.
- [July 5] Indian authorities arrest 4 individuals accused of crypto ponzi scheme, Coin Telegraph report.
- [July 5] US lawmakers tell Facebook to halt Libra as it risks undermining dollar and upending global financial system, Medianama report.
- [July 7] New ECB boss Christine Lagarde made a serious Bitcoin warning, Forbes report.
- [July 3] Samsung talks about its 5G solution, readiness to work with telecom operators in India, India Today report
- [July 2] Samsung to ramp up Internet of Things business in India after 5G roll out, Times Now News reports
More on Huawei
- [July 3] Despite Trump’s promised reprieve, Commerce Department tells staff to continue treating Huawei as blacklisted, Tech Crunch report.
- [July 3] Indian companies supplying (US origin equipment) to Huawei may face US sanctions: Govt, The Economic Times report.
- [July 4] Donald trump eases off Huawei as forms discover holes in his export ban, The Economist’s analysis.
- [July 4] India to decide on Huawei participation in 5G trial based on security and economic interests, The Economic Times report.
- [July 5] Huawei disputes US cyber firm’s findings of flaws in gear, The Wall Street Journal report.
- [July 6] Huawei employees linked to China’s military and intelligence, reports claim, Forbes report.
- [July 6] Huawei is helping all the UK’s top carriers build their 5G networks, Engadget report.
- [July 2] Air travel needs cybersecurity, now tighter than ever, Financial Express report.
- [July 3] New Zealand updates its cybersecurity strategy, ZDNet report.
- [July 3] Tech Mahindra, SSH to deploy cutting edge cybersecurity solutions to secure access control for enterprises, Dataquest India report.
- [July 3] 25 Central, State govt websites hacked till May this year: Ravi Shankar Prasad; The economic Times report.
- [July 5] Getting up to speed with AI and Cybersecurity, Tech radar explainer.
- [July 5] The Biggest Cybersecurity Crises of 2019 so far, The Wired report.
- [July 6] New ransomware named Sodin exploits Windows flaw identified by cybersecurity firm Kaspersky, The Indian Wire report.
- [July 3] Suspected Iranian Cyber Attacks Show No sign of slowing, Defense One report.
- [July 4] Report: Pentagon should assume US satellites are already hacked, Defense One report.
Surveillance/ Tech and Law Enforcement
- [July 1] NSAB comes up with traceability to help Whatsapp, Economic Times report
- [July 2] China snares tourists’ phones in surveillance dragnet by adding secret app, The New York Times report; Wired report; The Guardian report.
Tech and Military
- [July 1] Indian Air Force orders Russian-made anti-tank missiles for USD 29 million, Jane’s Defence Weekly report.
- [July 1] Modi govt spent Rs. 2.37 lakh crore on modernisation of armed forces in 4 years, Business Today report.
- [July 2] India’s defence budget has nearly doubled in 5 years but the money is not enough to upgrade the weapons. Business Insider report.
- [July 4] Funds shrinking, Army wants budget 2019 to make special allowance for GST, customs duties, The Print report.
- [July 5] Budget 2019: Experts feel not much to change for armed forces, The New Indian Express report.
- [July 5] 0.01% – The increase in defence allocation from interim budget as modernisation put on hold, News18 report.
- [July 5] Budget 2019: Defence gets duty exemption on imports, no big allocation, say experts, Financial Express report; The Hindu report.
- [July 5] India outlines progress in ‘Strategic Partner’ projects, Jane’s Defense Weekly report.
- [July 5] Defence Ministry approves Army Headquarters restructuring plans: Gen Bipin Rawat, Business Standard report.
- [July 6] Army, Nation e-Governance Division ink pact for developing revamped app, Money Control report.
- [July 6] MBDA, French Army team develop AI based automatic target recognition by imaging system, Defense World report.
- [July 7] Indian Army to buy American howitzer ammo for long-range accurate strikes, The Economic Times report.
- [July 8] DRDO carries out three successful Nag tests in one day in Pokhran, The Economic Times report.
Opinions and Analyses
- [July 1] Abhijit Kumar Dutta, Money Control, 5G test run: Is barring Huawei a good idea? Probably not.
- [July 1] Maahi Mayuri, Mondaq News Alerts, India: Data Localisation: What’s in it for us?
- [July 2] Allie Funk, Wired, I opted out of facial recognition at the airport – it wasn’t easy.
- [July 3] Times of India editorial, Don’t hug Huawei: Beware of allowing Chinese firms entry into India’s 5G market.
- [July 3] Amol Agarwal, Money Control, Facebook’s Libra currency – will it rewrite the crypto playbook?
- [July 3] Harsh V Pant and Kartik Bommakanti, Observer Research Foundation, India’s national security challenge.
- [July 3] Manas Chakravarty, Money Control, Why the US is targeting Huawei.
- [July 3] India’s response to China’s cyber attacks, The Diplomat’s analysis.
- [July 3] Rohan Venkatramakrishnan, Scroll.in, Where is the personal data protection that Indian were promised?
- [July 3] Business Standard editorial comment, The crypto challenge. [paywall]
- [July 5] Key tech related takeaways from Union Budget 2019-20, Medianama summary.
- [July 5] Afiya Qureshi, Mashable India, Indian Government plans to monitor the internet through a centralized system: should we worry?
- [July 5] Pravin Sawhney, The Wire, Defence Budget: Skewed ratio of allocations hurts India’s war preparedness.
- [July 5] Debajit Sarkar, Financial Express, Budget 2019: There is a need to boost defense expenditure.
- [July 6] Sounak Mukherjee, Money Control, TMC MP Mahua Moitra’s privacy concerns on Aadhaar stand tall against FM Nirmala Sitharaman’s Budget 2019 proposals,
- [July 6] Ivan Mehta, The Next Web, India claims its Aadhaar push is for the ‘good’ of the people despite serious privacy concerns.
- [July 6] Ilangovan Rajasekaran, Frontline, Conviction in sedition case will not affect Vaiko’s election to Rajya Sabha.
- [July 7] Wired Opinion, How to protect our kids’ data and privacy.
- [July 7] Sara Harrison, Wired, Twitter’s disinformation dumps are helpful – to a point.
- [July 7] Lt. Gen. KJ Singh, Times of India (blog), Union Budget tells armed forces to cut the coat as per cloth.