With the G20 Summit in Osaka easing trade tensions between the US and China, India has seen a week of developing policy positions on data localisation, tech startups and the fate of telecom providers — presenting this week’s most important developments in law and tech.
- [June 24] New Aadhaar regulations by Government to bring it back in full force, will be voluntary, India Today report.
- [June 24] Aadhaar bill introduced amid opposition protests, The Hindu report; Live Mint report.
- [June 25] Bill on Aadhaar tabled, ‘doesn’t violate privacy’, The Tribune report.
- [June 29] One nation, One ration card’ scheme from July 1, 2020, The Hindu report.
- [June 28] Myanmar: Internet Shutdown Risks Lives, Human Rights Watch report.
- [June 27] Modi Government stops advertising in The Times Group, The Hindu and The Telegraph news paper, PGurus report;
- [June 28] Modi Government freezes ads placed in Times of India, The Hindu and The Telegraph, The Wire report; The Deccan Herald report.
- [June 24] UAE data protection law, similar to GDPR, likely landing this year, Tech Radar report.
- [June 27] Home, IT Ministries discuss data protection bill, The Hindu report.
- [June 27] National Centre being planned to hold and manage all public data, The Economic Times report; The Quint report.
- [June 26] Data storage rules out of e-commerce policy, Live Mint report; CNBC TV18 report; Medianama report.
- [June 26] Government to decide if data issues need to be out of e-commerce policy, The Economic Times report.
- [June 27] Personal data storage: Government not in a mood to dilute data localisation rule, Financial Express report.
- [June 28] India stands by data localisation at G-20 summit, US opposes it, ETtech report.
- [June 28] Data Localisation: What India can dictate, and what she can’t, Business Today report.
- [June 29] India surrenders to US pressure on ‘data localisation’: Piyush Goyal and RBI send out confusing signals, National Herald report.
- [June 26] Not ready for global e-tail rules, India to tell G-20, ET Tech report.
- [June 26] India to come out with national e-comm policy within 12 months: Piyush Goyal, ETtech report.
- [June 27] The E-Commerce disaster that never was, The Economic Times report.
- [June 30] Draft e-comm policy, data protection may figure at India-EU meet in Brussels on July 4, Your Story report.
- [June 26] Digital literacy drive needs more funds: MeitY, The Hindu Business Line report.
- [June 27] RBI Committee recommends setting up Universal Enterprise ID, linkage across individual and enterprise PAN, Medianama report.
- [June 27] MeitY expenditure under Digital India at Rs. 3,328 cr in 2018-19: Ravi Shankar Prasad, The Economic Times report.
- [June 27] SEBI approves DVRs for tech startups, ETtech report.
- [June 28] Indian startups cheer differential voting rights, ETtech report.
- [June 28] Nitin Gadkari proposed Alibaba like platform for MSME sector, Entrackr report.
- [June 30] India’s OTT market will grow at 21.8% CAGR, PwC report says, ET Telecom report.
- [June 25] Digital India’s response readiness against cyber attacks is frail, lack of online security awareness biggest weakness, Firstpost report.
- [June 27] To avoid Huawei like situation, India plans desi WhatsApp for official communication ET Telecom report; Medianama’s take.
- [June 28] Infosys cyber security unit sees rising demand as threats mount, ET Tech report.
- [June 29] US FDA warns of cybersecurity risk to certain Medtronic insulin pumps. Live Mint report.
- [June 29] Indian manufacturing industry at high cyber risk, The Asian Age report.
- [June 29] Average DNS attack cost rises by 19% to $814,150 in APAC, ET Telecom report.
- [July 1] As cyber attacks increase, Indian IT clients seek stricter contracts, more audits, ET Tech report.
- [July 1] China increases cybersecurity industry development, Global Times report.
- [June 24] DoT may move SC against Airtel, Tata Tele merger, The Economic Times report.
- [June 26] Broadband forum seeks lower 5G spectrum prices, change in auction design, ET Telecom report.
- [June 26] Government gets 6 proposals for 5G trials, including Huawei, The Economic Times report.
- [June 27] Lack of 4G, staff costs slow down BSNL, MTNL, ET Telecom report.
- [June 27] DoT, MeitY eye EU ‘toolbox’ to address 5G-related concerns, The Economic Times report.
- [June 28] Telcos’ health needs to be vetted before 5G pricing, ET Tech report.
- [June 28] Modi, Trump discuss India-US collaboration in 5G tech, ET Tech report.
- [June 30] DoT will move cabinet with BSNL, MTNL package: Ravi Shankar Prasad, ET Telecom report.
- [July 1] Ericsson, Nokia assure telcos of speedy 5G rollout, ET Telecom report.
More on Huawei
- [June 24] Huawei offers to sign ‘no-backdoor’ pact with India govt, telcos to underline security commitment: CEO, The Economic Times report.
- [June 24] UK’s approach to Huawei is flawed warns Ericsson’s US boss, Financial Times report.
- [June 26] Nokia warns UK over using rival Huawei’s 5G kit, BBC report.
- [June 26] Huawei claims 50 commercial 5G deals globally amid uncertainty in India, ET Telecom report.
- [June 26] US-China trade war in 10 dates, ET Telecom report.
- [June 26], Huawei’s telecom equipment is more likely to have flaws than rivals’ claims report by US cybersecurity company Finite State, Tech Radar report.
- [June 26] India, US to discuss Huawei’s role in 5G trials, The Economic Times report.
- [June 26] India may let Huawei conduct 5G trials defying trump ban, International Business Times report.
- [June 27] Tech companies find legal ways around Huawei blacklist, ET Telecom report.
- [June 27] Medianama’s Huawei roundup: Promise of ‘no backdoor’ pact, 5G trial proposal and more.
- [June 27] Huawei personnel worked with China’s military on research projects, The Economic Times report.
- [June 28] How the Huawei issue affects India, The Economic Times report.
- [June 28] Nokia’s CTO slams Huawei after ‘potential backdoors’ found in 55% of its devices, Forbes report.
- [June 29] Nokia distances itself from CTO comments about Huawei, Tech Radar report.
- [June 28] As Trump and Xi talk trade. Huawei will loom large, The New York Times report.
- [June 29] Trump surprises G20 with Huawei concession: US companies can sell to Huawei, Forbes report; Live Mint report.
- [June 30] Huawei lifeline shows Trump prefers business deals over cold war, Live Mint report.
- [July 1] Google gets nod to license Android for Huawei, ET Telecom report.
- [June 26] Google accused of working to prevent Trump return in 2020, ET Tech report.
- [June 26] Next Google Chrome browser extension to increase data protection, Mediapost report; Forbes report, Medianama report.
- [June 26] Google and University of Chicago sued over data sharing, The New York Times report.
- [June 28] Italy stings Facebook with $1.1 million fine for Cambridge Analytica data misuse, TechCrunch report.
- [June 29] Google may have leveraged Android unfairly, says CCI, Inc42 report.
- [June 30] Spotify leaking use data with music labels: Report, ET Telecom report.
Emerging Tech/ AI
- [June 22] White House updated national artificial intelligence strategy, Defense One report.
- [June 24] Tech Mahindra unveils AI-based Humanoid HR for its Noida facility, Business Standard report.
- [June 25] IT firms are buying niche firms to grow in emerging areas like IOT, ET Tech report.
- [June 27] Commission-appointed panel publishes recommendations for artificial intelligence research. Science business report. [Read the full report of the High Level Expert Group appointed by the European Commission here].
- [June 26] Facebook’s crypto currency faces pre-G20 examination, Livemint report.
- [June 27] Crypto exchange Koinex wraps up operations; laments apathy of regulators and banks, Entrackr report, ETtech report, Medianama report.
Tech and Law Enforcement
- [June 25] Government surveillance at alarming levels: Forrester Global Map of Privacy Rights and Regulations, The Hindu Business Line report.
- [June 28] Madras HC allows Internet freedom Foundation (IFF) to intervene to oppose plea for linking Aadhaar with social media accounts, Live Law report; Medianama report.
- [June 29] Have social media companies helped TN Police combat cyber crimes? Affidavit in Madras HC has answers, Bar&Bench report
- [June 30] Railway police mulls using Aadhaar to track unidentified victims, The Hindu report; Times of India report.
- [June 30] War on fake news: Government to roll out guidelines for Google, Facebook, WhatsApp, ISPs, Financial Express report.
Tech and Military
- [June 24] Indian MoD approves procurement of 10 more P-8I aircarft for Indian navy, Jane’s Defense weekly report.
- [June 26] Russia wants to fool its enemies by making its drones look like owls (Uri style), Newsweek report.
- [June 26] Tatas may soon join queue for drone clearance from DGCA, ET Tech report.
- [June 26] 41 pieces of space debris from India’s asat test still in orbit, six weeks after they were supposed to decay according to Harvard astronomer, The Independent report.
- [June 27] Defence minister to review services’ emergency weapon acquisitions for war preparedness, India Today report.
- [June 27] India progresses import substitution projects under Make-II category, Jane’s Defence Weekly report.
- [June 28] S-400 Triumf missile deal: India mulls Euro payments for Russian arms to escape US sanctions, Business Today report.
- [June 28] Euro payment won’t end possibility of US sanctions on S-400 deal: Ex-Indian Defence Adviser, Sputnik International report.
- [June 30] India signs Rs. 200 crore anti-tank missile deal with Russia, Live Mint report.
Opinions and Analyses
- [June 23] Julian Vigo, Forbes, How cybersecurity is turning users into security experts.
- [June 23] Nitin Pai, Live Mint, What it would take for India to become a proper space power,
- [June 24] Satya Prakash, The Tribune, SC’s flip-flop on free speech.
- [June 24] Tim Cushing, Tech Dirt (blog), Indian Government uses national security law, bad information to block twitter accounts all over the world.
- [June 24] Michael Schmitt, Just Security (blog) Top Expert Backgrounder: Aborted US strike, cyber operations against Iran and International Law
- [June 25] Rohan Choudhary, The Telegraph India, India’s strategic challenges in the near future will be naval, not continental
- [June 25] Bryan Menegus, Gizmodo, This is how you’re being manipulated (by Big Tech)
- [June 25] Prannv Dhawan and John Simte, Firstpost, Combating fake news: MEITY should allow legal-flexibility based on social media platforms over one-size-fits-all regulatory approach.
- [June 25] Alon Muroch, Forbes, What’s preventing crypto from going mainstream?
- [June 25] Geoffrey S Corn, Lawfare, The aborted Iran strike: the fine line between necessity and revenge,
- [June 25] Justin Sherman and Robert Morgus, Lawfare, The Confused US messaging campaign on Huawei.
- [June 25] Live Mint Opinion, Accept Huawei’s offer.
- [June 26] Sujan R Chinoy, IDSA Comment, Indo-US Defence Partnership: Future prospects.
- [June 26] Lt Gen (Retd) DS Hooda, News18, India’s New Defence Cyber Agency Will have to Work Around Stovepipes Built by Army, Navy and Airforce
- [June 26] Goutam Das and Sonal Khetrapal, Business Today, Does the amended Aadhaar Bill circumvent Supreme Court’s order?
- [June 26] Cameron F Kerry and Jon B Morris, The Brookings Institute, Why data ownership is the wrong approach to protecting privacy,
- [June 27] Anirudh Rastogi and Ramani Ramachandran, ET Tech, RBI needs to overcome its fear of legitimate cryptocurrency usage
- [June 27] Anrnab Dey, The Quint, What is India doing with all its big data?
- [June 28] Samiksha Goel, Deccan Herald, 5G world will need new cybersecurity approach.
- [June 28] Pravin Sawhney, The Wire, Nobody Should be surprised if this year’s defence budget hardly sees a boost.
- [June 28] PK Vasudeva, The Statesman, A three-in-one position.
- [June 28] Suhasini Haidar, The Hindu, At G20, India stands with developing world- not US, Japan- on 5G and data.
- [June 29] Robert Farley, The Diplomat, Getting the world to comply with the US Huawei ban won’t be easy.
- [June 28] Sidhant Kumar, The Economic Times (blog), Protection, or protectionist?
- [June 29] Siddharth Sivaraman, The Sunday Guardian, Industrial development is a must for defence modernisation.
- [June 30] Ephrat Livni, Quartz, Facebook’s Libra is spurring central banks’ interest in issuing crytpocurrency.
- [June 30] Kamal Davar, The Sentinnel/ The Quint, Security Agenda for Modi 2.0: A national security doctrine
- [June 30] Arpita Mukherjee, The Pioneer, India should join e-commerce talks at WTO.
- [June 30] Keshav Murugesh, The Hindu Business Line, Getting to the Digital Summit.
- [June 30] Shobha Gupta, Bar & Bench, Section 66A: When a celebrated judgment of the Supreme Court cannot be implemented by the police.
- [June 30] Nishant Sirohi, The Leaflet, AI Technologies: Putting human rights in the forefront.
- [June 30] Eline Chivot, Financial Times, One year on, GDPR needs a reality check.
- [June 29] Robert D Atkinson, Information Technology and Innovation Foundation, Trump was right to (Temporarily) Lift the Huawei Export Ban.
- [June 30] Samir Saran and Richard Rahul Verma, The Print, Here’s how US and India can be major defence partners and take lead over Russia and China.